Regional Coordinator (2 Positions) – IOM
|Organization||International Organization for Migration|
|Position Title||Regional Coordinator (2 Positions)|
|Duty Station||Multiple Duty Stations, Sudan|
|Classification||Professional Staff, Grade P3|
|Type of Appointment||Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Sudan, and in close coordination with relevant units in the country office the successful candidate will be responsible for planning, organising, leading and coordinating the implementation of activities in one of two Area of Responsibilities (AoRs):
Darfur, covering five states of Darfur based in El Fasher North Darfur State.
Eastern Sudan, covering the four states of Kassala, Gedaref, Red Sea and Blue Nile and based in Kassala State.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Establish partnerships, maintain and develop working relationships with government and local authorities including the Humanitarian Aid Commission, non-governmental organizations, United Nations agencies, and stakeholders in all states within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
- Ensure representation of IOM at relevant fora including meetings at state level vis-à-vis the government and partners such as Area UN Country Team, Area Security Management Team, among others.
- Supervise sub-office staff and ensure timely completion of outputs and activities in close coordination with the Programme Managers
- Identify and develop projects and activities of interest for IOM in coordination with Head of Programmes, the relevant Programme Managers, Programme Support Unit and the Chief of Mission and in cooperation with government partners and communities.
- Analyse migration trends and issues; assess the potential for programme development and advice on migration related developments.
- Provide adequate and regular reporting to the Programme Support Unit covering the sub-office operations, programme implementation and its activities in coordination with the Programme Managers.
- Advise Programme Managers in the overall implementation of projects to ensure compliance with relevant IOM and donor policies, procedures and requirements.
- Oversee and coordinate the administrative functions of relevant units in the sub-offices and ensure compliance with IOM policies and procedures.
- Establish close coordination and consultation with Staff Security Unit, civil and military governmental and local authorities in order to ensure security of IOM staff and property.
- Maintain appropriate controls to safeguard the Organizations’ assets and prevent fraud. Strengthen internal controls through proper documentation and tracking of approval processes.
- Oversee local recruitment and provide training to staff in accordance with area needs and programme requirements, in coordination with relevant Programme Managers in Khartoum.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in Internally displaced persons (IDPs)/refugee protection or relevant human rights and legal experience.
- Experience in the field of migration and refugee assistance, three years of which in the field of IDPs.
- Work experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment.
- Technical knowledge on sub-office management.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French and or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Duty stations will be in El Fasher, North Darfur and Kassala.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 December 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment