ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT – UNESCO
|Post Number :||5SDBFM0701RP|
|Parent Sector :||Administration|
|Type of contract :||Fixed Term|
|Duration of contract :||2 years , renewable|
|Recruitment open to :||Internal and external candidates|
|Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) :||31 December 2022|
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall delegated authority of the Head of the Office and the direct supervision of the Finance and Administrative Officer, the incumbent shall serve as Administrative Assistant assisting in the execution of the administrative functions of UNESCO Khartoum Office in ensuring application and compliance with the rules, regulations, policies and practices of UNESCO are in place.
Main responsibilities include but are not limited to the following functions:
- Provide specialized administrative support services covering a series of financial, budgetary, HR and other tasks.
- Judge and consider the intent of transactions, to identify anomalies, inconsistencies and errors and determine the corrective actions to support sound financial, budgetary and HR practices.
- Contact with beneficiaries, suppliers, UN agencies and local authorities are for the purpose of collection and exchange of information on the status of various transactions and for follow-up of issues.
- Draft and prepare routine correspondence, memoranda and non-substantive reports.
- Maintain confidential and general files and establish reference systems.
- Review draft reports, verify overall accuracy and consistency, cross-check consistency of figures.
- Assist in overseeing activities related to office maintenance, security, transport and similar services.
- Assist and inform the supervisor on financial status, by using management information systems and reporting.
- Code, record and reconcile accounting transactions, verify and process payments.
- Calculate and compile financial data, prepare routine reports and generate expenditure reports from the automated systems.
- Provide assistance and guidance to staff on basic financial procedures, requirements related to payments, and on banking and currency provisions.
- Act as bank focal point in charge of reconciliation and follow up on bank documents.
- Monitor and control commitments and expenditures and prepare detailed cost estimates and other data for use in budget analysis and proposals.
- Keep track of budget levels and alert the supervisor and concerned managers to avoid potential shortfalls in funds (validating information and identifies any errors or irregularities).
- Generate expenditure reports from automated information system databases; compile budget data.
- Assist in the preparation, cost estimation and finalization of budget reports, carry out preliminary analysis of variances between budgets and actual expenditures, cross check consistency of figures.
- Identify any other anomalies and errors; alert the supervisor and undertake transactions to correct errors/omissions.
- Assistance in HR administrative matters.
- Draft correspondence and other documents for personnel actions, follow up on coming HR actions, maintain database.
- Retrieve and Analyse HR-related data from automated systems; alert the supervisor of inconsistencies/ errors and propose corrective action.
- Process salaries, entitlements, claims, non-staff contracts etc. as per to established guidelines and procedures.
- Provide assistance, advice and briefings to newly arrived staff, experts and consultants on basic procedures; assist and support in issues related to visas, identity cards, driving licenses and other necessary personnel-related documentation in accordance with requirements by the Organization and host country (liaise, as required, with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
- Assist in pre-recruitment formalities and provide support on the conduct of the recruitment process; coordinate interview schedules, prepare agenda and documentation.
- Help in the coordination of housekeeping, office transport, office drivers, infrastructure, facilities, office premises, and utilization of resources; Manage inventory of all store control purchases on a monthly basis for electrical items/grocery/hospitality/stationery/cleaning items including maintenance of stationery and office supplies inventory.
- Ensure maintenance of office assets like equipment, vehicle, furniture etc.; Manage AMCs (Asset Management and Controls) pertaining to upkeep office equipment and other services, ensuring compliance with the service level agreements by the vendors and Long-Term Agreement (LTA) signed by other United Nations sister agencies.
- Facilitate the preparation, documentation and processing of VAT (Value Added Tax) claims based on the outstanding VAT receivable balance in the system and reconcile the reimbursement with the receivable balance recorded.
- Liaise with relevant authorities to deposit VAT refunds to the respective office bank accounts.
- Assist in initiating procurement action, in the preparation of purchase orders and contracts, monitor status of requisitions and maintain contact with suppliers.
- Provide guidance in preparation of travel plans, review travel claims, issue travel advances.
- Support and cooperation in all safety and security related matters.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
Secondary education, technical and professional education.
Minimum of 5 years of professional experiences in the domain of finance and/or administration at national or international levels.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Ability to operate fairly; independently; to take initiative and work effectively in a team.
- Flexibility, adaptability and readiness to work under pressure.
- Client-oriented and problem-solving attitude.
- Practical knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system such as SAP (Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing).
- Knowledge of UN/UNESCO Rules, Regulations and administrative procedures.
Excellent knowledge of English and knowledge of other UN language will be an asset.
Training/Certification in Accounting, Finance and Administration.
At least 2 years of professional experience within United Nations agencies.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.