GIS / Graphic Design Assistant – IOM
|Organization||International Organization for Migration|
|Position Title||GIS / Graphic Design Assistant|
|Duty Station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Type of Appointment||One-year fixed term, with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Programme and direct supervision of the Programme Officer (DTM); with close coordination with the Heads of Units. The GIS/ Graphic Design Assistant is responsible for the following functions:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Timely preparation, maintenance and provision of geographic information and maps in support of the mission’s operations using GIS software and related equipment.
- Collect, process and evaluate geographic data including vector, raster and thematic data; Compile large-scale operation maps and small-scale briefing/report maps.
- Participate in geographic/terrain analysis studies and prediction of the effects of terrain, weather and situation on the mission’s operations.
- Archive mission geographic data and maintain the mission’s geo-database system.
- Analyze spatial data for geographic statistics to incorporate into documents and reports.
- Meet with users to define data needs, project requirements, and required outputs.
- Participate in the design of GIS and other information systems and databases.
- Update GIS and other information systems and databases, applying additional knowledge of spatial feature representations.
- GPS Devices installation, configuration and training field team to use GPS.
- Retrieve stored maps.
- Perform any other duty within the incumbent’s capabilities as appropriate and tasked by the Information Management Officer or GIS officer.
- Assist in the development, quality control and reproduction of products in appropriate formats for clients.
- Create maps, infographic and graphs, using GIS software and related equipment.
- Conduct Research to locate and obtain existing databases.
- Support the development of graphics and layout for regular, strategic, IOM reports for external dissemination (such as Unit Fact Sheets, Dashboard, Humanitarian Summary, and Monthly Bulletins).
- Report to direct supervisor on implementation status, including the progress, Support the development of graphics and layout for regular visibility material for donor and other consumers (e.g. press releases).
- Support the development and graphics for other strategic documents for both internal and external distribution.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- a first level university degree or a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience.
- Minimum of 6 years of progressively responsible experience in Information planning and management
- Practical knowledge and experience in GPS, GIS and cartography, including knowledge of current GIS software (ArcGIS, MapInfo) and the use of server-based GIS technology
- Knowledge of related software and systems (database, word processing, desktop publishing)
- Knowledge of Remote Sensing and raster – vector integration techniques
- Familiarity with Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI)
Fluency in English and Working knowledge of Arabic an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email: [email protected], by January 11, 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For Jobs From IOM Visit: IOM Jobs
To help you improve your career, we offer you free courses offered by International Organizations and Universities on our site: English Courses