Foreman SSA9 (Kassala) – WFP
|Organization||United Nations World Food Programme|
|Job Title||Foreman SSA9|
|Location||Africa, Northern – Sudan – Kassala|
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are seeking to fill a number of Foreman positions. We have 06 positions to fill in different locations – Kassala, North Darfur, South Kordofan, Nyala, El Geneina and Zalingei, Sudan.
The Foreman shall report to the Project Engineer, or other staff member designated by the Head of the WFP Sudan Engineering unit, in relation to all aspects of, construction and contract management of the infrastructure projects, as required.
To provide construction and engineering expertise and contribute to the efficient delivery and quality outputs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Develop and track daily work, manpower and material schedule for the construction activities and monitor attendance of crew;
2. Coordinate tasks according to priorities and goals.
3. Assign and delegate general and daily tasks and responsibilities to construction workers;
4. Ensure all documentation and regiters are properly completed in line with WFP requirements;
5. Ensure manpower and resources are adequate, monitor availability on site;
6. Be the liaison between construction workers and supervisors;
7. Supervise, train and give feedback to workers;
8. Solve peacefully disputes between workers and solve emerging problems and issues;
9. Conduct and amend risk assessments and deliver toolbox talks/briefings;
10. Carry out and record site inspections;
11. Ensure all works are carried out in line with approved methods statements;
12. Supervise and guide the hire and use of machinery and equipment;
13. Coordinate delivery and pick up of materials as required;
14. Report project progress to superiors, managers and team engineers;
15. Monitor expenditure and ensure they remain within budget;
16. Guarantee and promote all safety precautions and quality standards.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Business Support Services & Reporting||Exhibits ability to convert business plans into clear actions for team members to support the implementation of the program. Collects and reports data to draw out fact-based insights.|
|Internal Controls & Risk Management for Administration and Engineering||Utilises understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance, ensure data integrity and ensure client satisfaction.|
|Resource Management for Administration and Engineering||Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients.|
|Specialised Knowledge in Engineering||Applies advanced engineering knowledge in own area of responsibility and working knowledge of other engineering disciplines to provide technical support to operations and projects. Leads independent action and decision making in an engineering context.|
|Engineering & Project Management||Demonstrates a strong proficiency in developing project scopes, engineering and design proposals, and identifying required tasks and milestones. Applies working knowledge of project management tools, engineering technologies, techniques and best practice to track and monitor project progress, delivering projects on schedule and on budget.|
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
|Education:||University degree in the construction field, Engineering, Architecture.|
|Experience:||Minimum 5 years of proven experience as construction foreman, understanding of electrical and mechanical systems.|
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent knowledge of construction procedures, operations and equipment;
- Excellent communication and reporting, organizational and leadership skills;
- Ability to negotiate;
- Ability to solve disputes between workers and construction issues;
- Ability to read and deliver drawings, plans and blueprints;
- Ability to organize a work schedule;
- Ability to multi-task;
- Ability to perform quality checks on construction equipment;
- Good knowledge of the Office package.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for application is 02 December 2020.
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.