ICT Senior Assistant – UNOPS
|Organization||United Nations Office for Project Services|
|Job Title||ICT Senior Assistant|
|Department/office||AFR, ETMCO, Sudan|
|Duty station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Contract type||Local ICA Support|
|Application period||23-Sep-2021 to 06-Oct-2021|
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of ICT and operational strategies
- ICT management and administration
- Network administration
- Telecommunications and web management services
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures implementation of ICT and operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of ICT activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Contribution to the office’s ICT business processes mapping and to the elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in ICT, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Ensures efficient and effective ICT management and administration, focusing on achievement of the following results: .
- Maintenance of inventory of all computer, telecommunication equipment, I/O devices and software existent in the office ensuring compliance with registration and upgrades.
- Interaction with HQ and ICT staff from other UN agencies in the area to share and exchange information and expertise on applications and tools.
- Effective functioning (installation, operation and maintenance) of all UNOPS hardware equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies.
- Performance of specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs.
- Installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades, anti-virus programs on a timely basis.
- Supervision of information and communication services of the Sudan Office.
- Advice on project implementation on all activities involving ICT.
- Provision of consulting services, ICT audit inspections and/or facilitation of selection/deployment of software to projects, seeking technical advice and support from ICT Development staff as required.
- Liaison with UNOPS Headquarters, Decentralized Offices and project offices to determine hardware and software requirements.
- Acting as UNOPS’ liaison with the local UN partner agencies on issues relating to UNOPS ICT.
- Advice on procurement processes related to hardware and software and establishment and maintenance of a roster of potential suppliers.
- Active networking with clients on how to address and improve mutually common areas of concern.
Ensures efficient network administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) systems to ensure that Network Operating Systems support databases, documents, resources and data files.
- Installation, upgrading and maintenance of LAN/WAN systems, including applications used in the system.
- Monitoring of the network connection on a daily basis to ensure a stable and responsive network environment.
- Trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems. Proper security to the LAN by stringent management of the Firewall. Ensure that the UNOPS desktop and network resources are protected from malicious virus attacks and deploy countermeasures in the event of the attacks.
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access.
- Maintenance of up-to-date parameters of information for the network clients and electronic mail.
- Maintenance of measures in place for business continuity and disaster recovery processes and procedures including backup and restoration of both server and local storage facilities.
- Maintenance of video conference applications and PBX operations.
Ensures efficient and functioning telecommunications system and web management services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proactive maintenance on telecom systems to avoid disruption of service.
- Performance of minor repairs on hardware equipment, as required.
- Receipt, testing and installation of telecommunications hardware.
- Support for the maintenance of the Sudan Office website and Intranet page.
Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Staff training and support on hardware familiarization and maintenance; software applications, file management/maintenance and LAN/WAN systems;
- Advice to management, clients and colleagues on subject matter expertise
Performs any other duties as assigned by the Operations Manager
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the execution of the ICT management in the Sudan Office in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Timely updating and implementation of software/hardware, punctual and accurate information, and client-oriented approach enhances UNOPS capability as an efficient and first-class service provider.
Secondary education required, Diploma or University Degree, preferably in information sciences, computer sciences or engineering desirable.
5 years of progressively responsible, job related experience in working in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems, preferably with international organizations.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.Google Gsuite applications knowledge and experience would be an asset. Cisco CCNA and Microsoft MCP certifications would be assets.
would be an asset.
Experience in handling web-based management systems. Database management; web applications technology and technology training experience.
Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic is required. Knowledge of additional UN languages is desirable.
Integrity & Inclusion
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self and Others
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized ICT tasks
- Good knowledge of UNOPS ICT rules and regulations and protocols
- Good knowledge of electronic messaging systems, Windows NT, MS Office Suite and of LAN/WAN concepts
- Good working knowledge of hardware/software, Microsoft Active Directory, Exchange 2000/2003, Windows 2003, Windows XP, Office 2003 and/or newer versions and Veritas backup
Contract type, level and duration – Internship
Contract type:Local Individual Contract
Contract level: L- ICA 5
Contract duration: One year
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
UNOPS Sudan is actively looking for highly motivated and competent candidates for the position of ICT Assistant. Under the guidance and supervision of the Hub ICT officer, the ICT Assistant provides support on information technology related services and functions to UNOPS Sudan Office in managing its operations. In the discharge of her/his duties, the ICT Assistant liaises with UNOPS Support Services personnel, Programme Support Officers, Chief Technical Advisers and Portfolio Managers & Portfolio Assistants in order to ensure best support.
Background Information – Sudan
The UNOPS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners to support humanitarian response, recovery and development initiatives. UNOPS is the United Nations sector lead for the Basic Infrastructure Sector in Sudan and helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: water resource management, education, census and elections, human resource management and mine action.