Administration Assistant – UNOPS
|Department/office||AFR, ETMCO, Sudan|
|Duty station||Port Sudan, Sudan|
|Contract type||Local ICA Support|
|Duration||Ongoing Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’|
|Application period||05-Aug-2022 to 18-Aug-2022|
Background Information – Job-specific
Port Sudan, the major economic center of the Republic of Sudan’s and the capital of Red Sea State in Sudan has limited rainfall that varies widely from year to year as well as within years. Droughts occur regularly with devastating impacts. The climate is predicted to get hotter and probably drier, further increasing the scarcity of water, marginalizing livelihoods and increasing tensions over water allocation and use. Water scarcity impacts negatively on people’s lives and livelihoods, increasing poverty, causing local conflict and driving migration.
As part of the UK Government’s support for Sudan’s efforts to move, where possible, to longer-term and more sustainable development, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCDO) has supported UNOPS to implement the “Urban Water in Port Sudan” project. The project is aimed at increasing the availability and reliability of water sources in Port Sudan. The project output to date enabled access to clean drinking water for an estimated 40,000 people, in the states, and the project also supports improved water supply management in two further states.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the administration assistant manages and ensures efficient logistic and transportation support services to the Port Sudan office. In the discharge of her/his duties, the Administrative Assistant liaises with UNOPS programme support colleagues to ensure consistent service delivery for the office/programme. The Administration Assistant promotes a client, quality, and results-oriented approach.
Summary of Key Functions
- Logistics and asset management support
- Transport services
- Support for knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures provision of reliable logistics and asset management support, namely:
Appropriate maintenance and safe and secure storage of all office equipment and property.
- Preparing accurate inventory lists and adequate property records for the office and projects.
- Careful monitoring of the movement of equipment into and within the area of responsibility.
- Implementation of equipment management and accounting system for all equipment and properties managed by the office, in accordance with UNOPS equipment policy.
- Processing of supply requisitions for office premises.
- Assistance with timely and effective customs clearance.
- Administering the receipt of goods and equipment for the office, inspection and report preparation.
Administers transport services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper maintenance, servicing and repair of all office vehicles for top performance and safe operating conditions in accordance with UNOPS vehicle management policy and procedures.
- All official transport needs of Management and office personnel met with accompanying security arrangements.
- Daily vehicle log on petrol consumption and mileage.
- Implementation of a repair and maintenance system for all office equipment including EDP equipment, and generators, etc.
- Efficient building management and maintenance activities.
- Implementation of a power policy in line with capacity of the city power and generators.
- Assessment of contract services (cleaning, security, taxi, courier, etc.) in view of improving service level and/or identifying better solutions;
Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training events for the programme, operations and projects personnel on logistics and transport related subjects.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
|Completion of secondary school is required. |
First University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or equivalent disciplines is desirable but not required.
In the absence of a degree, administrative diploma is an asset
|Experience||A minimum of 4 years of administrative or operational experience in logistics and administration is required.|
Ability to work with computer and office software packages (Google Docs and/or newer versions) and knowledge of Google Sheets and other packages is an added advantage.
Experience in the UN system organizations is desirable.
|Language Requirements||Fluency in English and Arabic is required|
Knowledge of a second UN or regional working language is an asset.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and it is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, or disability.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contractual Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level: LICA-4
- Contract duration: ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’