Electrician – US Embassy
|Hiring Agency:||American Embassy Khartoum|
|Open Period:||07/26/2021 – 08/09/2021|
|Series/Grade:||LE – 1210 5|
For More Info:
- HR Section
- [email protected]
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required:
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type Details:
Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (8 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
Performs electrical and general mechanical and building trades installation, maintenance, and repairs at the Embassy Compound and 9 US Government-owned and 60 plus short-term leased properties in accordance with established industry standards in support of Post’s office and residential maintenance programs. The incumbent is responsible for performing a new installation, maintenance & repair, and preventive and predictive maintenance on a variety of electrical equipment, power distribution, and interior wiring systems from 110 volts to 11 kV. Implements preventive maintenance requirements in accordance with established maintenance procedures and recommendations. Provide troubleshooting and diagnostic service using relevant electrical tools and test equipment. Generates inspection reports reflecting the condition of appliances and other electrical equipment. Provides support as required to the Mission in and Darfur.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: Three (3) years of experience working in the building maintenance environment as an electrical technician is required.
Job Knowledge: Working knowledge of the fundamentals or principles of electrical theory relating to the installation, maintenance, repair, motors and controls, and testing of electrical systems through the application of electronics and solid-state theory. Considerable knowledge of and ability to comprehend and apply relevant electrical and safety codes. Ability to maintain and choose the right tools and materials for the job.
Successful completion of secondary school is required.
English: Level III (Good working knowledge, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
Arabic: Level III (Good working knowledge, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Necessary skill and ability to read and interpret electrical drawing and schematics.
- Possess skills and ability to disassemble and reassemble equipment and associated components.
- Must possess good communication skills and have ability to interact with customers in constructive manner.
- Must possess verbal and written communication skills to explain information related to day-to-day or recurring issues to supervisors and possess ability to write technical and inspection reports.
- Must have ability to comprehend relevant electrical safety requirements as they pertain to residential safety. Must be able to understand safety requirements when using chemicals and the disposals procedures in accordance to international safety standards.
- Must be able to complete the work in a time frame that meets industry standards.
- Must have a valid Sudanese driver’s license. (This may be tested)
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.Qualifications:
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- High School Diploma
- Other Document (Experience certificates)
- Other Document 2 (Experience certificates)
- Driver’s License
- Proof of Citizenship
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in U.S. Mission.
About US Embassy
What does the US Embassy Do?
The primary purpose of an embassy is to assist American citizens who travel to or live in the host country. U.S. Foreign Service Officers also interview citizens of the host country who wish to travel to the United States for business, education, or tourism purposes.
U.S. Embassy, LondonEmbassy in London, England
The Embassy of the United States of America in London is the diplomatic mission of the United States in the United Kingdom. It is the largest American embassy in Western Europe and the focal point for events relating to the United States held in the United Kingdom.
Embassy of the United States, BeijingOffice in Beijing, China
The Embassy of the United States in Beijing is the diplomatic mission of the United States in China. It serves as the administrative office of the United States Ambassador to China. The embassy complex is in Chaoyang District, Beijing.