|SALARY:||Gross $1691 USD|
|ROLE PURPOSE:||12months, possible extension.|
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection, and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises. Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs, and reporting to a relatively small, central office.
The construction manager will be tasked with overseeing all functional aspects of construction-related projects from design, proposal, and procurement, to supervision and contributing to reports. with challenging environments for constructing schools, HP, HC, WASH facilities, Rural Development infrastructures, and other buildings will demand a highly motivated, detail-oriented individual who will be able to mitigate risks before they arise and solve challenges as they arise. The individual will support the proposal process related to construction projects. Field support related to construction issues, provide technical support to project managers and field staff, input to donor reporting related to construction and support procurement /supply chain on construction tendering process.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Planning, Coordination & programme support
- Provide field and technical support to construction project managers and field staff.
- Support procurement/supply chain on construction. Tendering process and ensure timely delivery of tendering process in collaboration with the supply chain team.
- Share guidelines, manuals methodologies with program managers and relevant state government bureaus on the design of structures and advise on the appropriateness of design and material for the proposed.
- Support development of a technical standards for all field-level construction projects.
- Ensure emergency and early recovery construction projects adhering to humanitarian standards.
- Support in the design of construction in close coordination with other programs the save the children and partners.
- Provide in coordination with WASh technical specialist technical oversight of construction engineering and designs as well proactively promote high-quality construction technical approaches within the country
- Collaborate with respective field team and business development unit during now project proposal development in the process of project planning releasing of facilities, specification, and boos preparation.
- Collaborate with respective country and field office procurement during tender planning evaluation and contract agreement in the formulation
- Guide and provide directions to respective construction personnel while the implementation of contractual construction works.
- In coordination with the relevant project, the program and operation team is responsible for preparing contracts reviewing, and administering contract and infrastructure development problems.
- Support in proposal process related to construction issues .
- Prepare designs for medium complex project and review technical design documents received from program thematic (Health, Education, WASH) and recommends relevant modifications as required, and also ensure that the project plans, drawing or sketches are well understood by the implementation on contractor /teams, provide implementation guidelines and give technical feedback as appropriate.
- Assist the procurement administration with all the procurement activities implemented by the program in your respective operational areas.
- Develop design concept and standard share for project proposal units of different thematic at the CO
Review Follow up and assessment
- Follow up and planning and implementation of all construction undertakings and also review and monitor the performance of construction companies for compliance with the contractual agreements they entered into with SCL.
- Review, advise and sign-off construction payment requested by the field team.
- Review the status and progress of construction activities, including assessment of the construction work quality.
- Support rolling out of construction quality benchmarks and carry field visits to program implementation areas to conduct quality check for construction activities as per quality benchmarks (QBs)
COMPETENCIES FOR THIS ROLE :
Takes personal responsibility and holds others accountable for delivering our ambitious goals for children, continually improving our own performance or that of the team /organization.
Applying Technical and Professional Expertise.
Applies the required technical expertise to the highest standards; promotes and shares best practices within and outside the organization.
Working Effectively with others:
Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives knows when to lead when to follow, and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
Communicating with Impact communicates
clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust.
- BSc in construction engineering or related technical field with a minimum of five years experience in full construction contract administration.
- Proven and significant experience in international procurement and contract managemen, including an ability to review provurement demands and trends, and to develop strategies to fill identified gaps.
- Field level experience in logistics for INGOs in international development and emergency programmes
- Knowledge of key instiutional donors and their compliance requirements in respect of logistics and procurement .
- Highly development and communication skills including influencing ,negotiation and coaching .
- Experiens of solving complex issuse through analysis , definiton of a clear way forward and ensurring buy in
- Commitment to save the children values .
- Ability and wilingness to change work pracitces and hours in the event of major emergenices including travelling at short notice and for extended periods of time.
- Highy organised with good administration skills for order and information managment able to develop filing systems and databases to ensure an auduitable trail.
- A high level of computer literacy (word , excel , ppt, Auto CAD etc)
About Save the Children
The Save the Children Fund, commonly known as Save the Children, was established in the United Kingdom in 1919 to improve the lives of children through better education, health care, and economic opportunities, as well as providing emergency aid in natural disasters, war, and other conflicts.
About Construction engineering
Construction engineering is a professional discipline that deals with the designing, planning, construction and management of infrastructures such as roads, tunnels, bridges, airports, railroads, facilities, buildings, dams, utilities, and other projects.
Which is better civil or construction engineering?
Civil engineering deals more with the design, planning, and analysis of a construction project, while construction engineering is primarily on-site management of actual construction. Ultimately, construction engineering is a specialty under the parent career of civil engineering.
Females are strongly encouraged to apply for this post.
Application, full CV, copy of qualifications, and experience certificates should be delivered directly to HAC Labour Department, Khartoum – End of Gamojoria Street. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for written tests and interviews. All inquiries should be addressed directly to Labour Office–HAC Khartoum. The closing date will be on the day: 14/07/2021. Any application after this date will not be considered. All interviews were done in HAC Labour Dep.
For jobs from SAVE THE CHILDREN visit: SCI Jobs Page