Programme Management Specialist – UN WOMEN
|Organization||UN WOMEN – United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women|
|Title||Programme Management Specialist|
|Type of Contract||Service Contract|
|Application Deadline||23/06/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Port Sudan-Red Sea state, SUDAN|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Duration of Initial Contract||One Year|
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Sudan has entered an era of democratic transition after a 30-year undemocratic rule. The current process of the transition is challenging due to the dire socio-economic and political situations the country is passing through. The deteriorated economic situations have negatively reflected in a massive collapse of the local currency, deteriorated standard of living and lack of security. The process of the institutional reform, mainly reforming public sectors institutions to deliver timely and efficient public services has been slowed down by the political fragility, inadequate resources, and delay in the signing of the peace agreement. Women are still bearing the brunt of the economic deterioration. Women’ engagement in agriculture and in the informal sector affect their ability to afford basic family needs. Moreover, women access to microfinance institutions to enhance their economic opportunities is affected by cultural barriers and by lack of knowledge to access microfinance institutions. The historical social norms and stereotypes imposed on women have worsened the unequal power structure and often deter women’s ability to make decision and to negotiate their rights.
In line with the County priorities, UN Women works with different sectors to jointly promote women’s economic empowerment and bring the transitional government to account for gender at macro, meso and micro economic level in the process of the economic reform.
In this regard, and under the European Union Emergency Trust Fund for stability and addressing root causes of irregular migration and displaced persons in Africa (EUTF) to support the democratic transition in Sudan, UN Women in partnership with the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS are undertaking three- years project titled Women’s Empowerment for resilience, Inclusion, Sustainability and Environment in Eastern States. The project aims to create a conducive environment for the economic empowerment of women living in the most vulnerable situations in Khartoum, Kassala, Gedaref and Red Sea states. Specifically, the project objectives focus on improving access of young women and men, living in vulnerable situations, to a more inclusive market system, strengthen the capacity of institutions at Federal and State levels to enhance GEWE and reflect on the social norms and attitudes towards GEWE.
Based on the project objectives, UN Women is seeking to recruit a Programme Management Specialist based in Red Sea State.
Under the general supervision of the Sudan Country Representative and direct supervision of Women Economic Empowerment Officer the Programme Management Specialist is responsible for managing the development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of programmes for the Sudan CO including providing technical support to the implementation of the project’s activities programme, managing the monitoring and reporting for project, overseeing and guiding people and budget management for the programme team, building partnerships and providing support in developing resource mobilization strategies, and managing knowledge building efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the programmatic development for the projects, based on the Concept Note and project document:
- Provide overall programme advisory support to the Office Management.
- Guide the development of the programme, and provide technical support to the design and formulation of programme/ project initiatives;
- Review and provide feedback to project/ programme strategies and documents, workplans, case studies and related knowledge products and publications, as needed;
- Provide technical advice on the development of systems, processes and mechanisms to support programme planning, implementation, monitoring and progress reporting;
- Review and evaluate proposals and oversee the preparation of donor proposals and reports;
- Draft policy documents, briefs and other strategic papers/ materials for the use in the development and presentation of policy and programmatic positions.
Provide technical support to the implementation of the project programme:
- Review programme annual work plans to assure compliance with UN Women programme goals and results-based indicators;
- Analyze and ensure alignment of project budgets with logical framework matrices and work plans;
- Draft reports on activities, outputs and outcomes; and compile information in preparations of country office donor and UN Women reports;
- Analyze and ensure alignment of project budgets with logical framework matrices and work plans;
- Manage programme quality control and identification of potential challenges;
- Align programme activities with operations team in close liaison with Operations Managers;
- Build and manage relationships with national partners, as necessary.
Designing, planning and implementation of activities Programme Planning, Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Provide a concrete plan with monitoring and evaluation and time framework for the duration of the project based on the initial document of the project
- Support the process of the technical meeting of the project partners (AICS and UN Women) in Kassala, Gedaref and Port Sudan with main stakeholders for consensus on program scope and objectives
- Support the implementation of the inception phase activities; work closely with the consultants to guarantee the delivery of studies, assessments and the analysis that should be undertaken as part of the inception phase
- Support the process of selecting the targeted communities for the project implementation and make sure that the Quick gender assessment to understand the impact of social norms and gender stereotypes on WEE and the designed tools to capture and measure the impact of social norms are in line with the project outcomes
- Mange the delivery and the allocation of the resources to the different activities
- Manage the risks encountering the designing and implementation of the project activities and work on reducing them
- Support the process of achieving the projects outcomes through harmonization of the project objectives with the required activities
- Work towards achieving the overall project’ outcome
- Report on the progress made regarding the implementation of the project’ activities and the realization of outputs and outcomes
- Ensure the delivery of mid-term outcome and final evaluation report upon the completion of the project.
Oversee and guide people and budget management for the programme team:
- Lead a team, perform staff performance reviews, ensure capacity development of staff members by suggesting development opportunities;
- Monitor and analyze financial situation on the portfolios and programmes to ensure adherence to delivery rates and utilization of resources to meet agreed upon targets and results;
- Ensure effective information flow, communication and coordination across the office, between programmes, projects and operations, and with other UN Women offices and units.
Build partnerships and provide support in developing resource mobilization strategies:
- Develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies;
- Analyze and research information on donors, finalize substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for resource mobilization and cost sharing;
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN Women, country needs and donors’ priorities and develop the relevant partnerships.
Manage knowledge building efforts:
- Manage the process of identifying and synthesizing of best practices and lessons learned that are directly linked to the implementation of the programme and contribute to their global dissemination.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Programme team workplans and budgets are developed and implemented in line with Project document work plans
- Programme team adhere to UN Women’s Rules, Regulations, policies and procedures, using a results-based management approach
- Programmes are implemented according to workplan and budget
- Regular monitoring of programmes, issues/deviations are raised in a timely manner
- Timely and quality reporting and regular dissemination and sharing of information, including best practices/ lessons learned
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong knowledge of Results Based Management
- Good knowledge of UN programme management systems
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Political Science, Development, Public Administration, Gender is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification (such as PMP®, PRINCE2®, or MSP®) would be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in programme management, including programme design, programme coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building.
- Experience in working in a gender related area is an asset;
- Experience in setting priorities, budgets, work plans, participating in programme development and programme writing;
- Experience in leading teams effectively is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset
- Prior experience in the UN System is an asset
For jobs from UN WOMEN in Sudan visit: UN WOMEN Jobs Page