Communications and Monitoring & Evalaution Officer – UN WOMEN
|Organization||UN WOMEN – United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women|
|Title||Communications and Monitoring & Evaluation Officer|
|Type of Contract||Service Contract|
|Application Deadline||23/09/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Port Sudan-Red Sea state, SUDAN|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Duration of Initial Contract||One Year|
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Sudan has entered an era of democratic transition after a 30-year dictator rule. The current process of the transition is challenging due to the dire socio-economic and political situations the country is passing through. The deteriorated economic situations have negatively reflected in a massive collapse of the local currency, deteriorated standard of living and lack of security. The process of the institutional reform, mainly reforming public sectors institutions to deliver timely and efficient public services has been slowed down by the political fragility, inadequate resources, and delay in the signing of the peace agreement. Women are still bearing the brunt of the economic deterioration. Women’ engagement in agriculture and in the informal sector affect their ability to afford basic family needs. Moreover, women access to microfinance institutions to enhance their economic opportunities is affected by cultural barriers and by lack of knowledge to access microfinance institutions. The historical social norms and stereotypes imposed on women have worsened the unequal power structure and often deter women’s ability to make decision and to negotiate their rights.
In line with the County priorities, UN Women works with different sectors to jointly promote women’s economic empowerment and bring the transitional government to account for gender at macro, meso and micro economic level in the process of the economic reform. In this regard, and under the European Union Emergency Trust Fund for stability and addressing root causes of irregular migration and displaced persons in Africa (EUTF) to support the democratic transition in Sudan, UN Women in partnership with the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS) are implementing three- years project titled Women’s Empowerment for resilience, Inclusion, Sustainability and Environment in Eastern States. The project aims to create a conducive environment for the economic empowerment of women living in the most vulnerable situations in Khartoum, Kassala, Gedaref and Red Sea states. Specifically, the project objectives focus on improving access of young women and men, living in vulnerable situations, to a more inclusive market system, strengthen the capacity of institutions at Federal and State levels to enhance GEWE and reflect on the social norms and attitudes towards GEWE.
Base on the project objectives, UN Women is seeking to recruit Communication and M&E specialists based in Red Sea State to undertake the following task and responsibilities:
Under the guidance and supervision of the Programme Specialist, the M&E and Communication Officer (Communication Advocacy and M&E) supports effective delivery of the program by monitoring program implementation consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. He/she contributes to the effective implementation of the project, ensures that monitoring and evaluation requirements for programme are met. The communication and M&E specialist work in close collaboration with the project manager, Program and Operations Teams, to ensure adequate exchange of information, timely updates and other follow ups as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide a coherent project communications and advocacy strategy/knowledge repository and hub for the project
- Coordinate and communicate with project’ partners and stakeholders
Monitor the implementation and the evaluation of the project Facilitate monitoring of the project’ implementation and evaluation of the project intended result
- Monitor the implementation of the project activities and make sure that the activities are in line with the planned project’ objectives
- Guarantee efficient implementation and accomplishment of the activities, ? Monitoring and Evaluation during the life cycle of the project
- Implement the established M&E system during life cycle of the project
- Monitor the project outputs and activities, through establishing of M&E system
- Assess the progress made in the implementation of the activities
- Coordinate with the Project manager and Operations the content of the M&E visits to project activities and share with the Project Team the results of the M&E findings.
- Mange the process of the project evaluation (mid-term and final evaluation)
Provide a coherent project communications and advocacy strategy/knowledge repository and hub for the project
- Lead the preparation and the production of success stories, video documentaries and pictures of the project implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Prepare bimonthly briefing article on the development and progress about the project implementation and the intervention areas
- Develop strong relationships with media and campaign on issues of relevance to the project intervention
- Follow UN Women and UN corporate communication guidelines
- Carry out any ad hoc tasks relating to M&E and communication as required by the project
Provide communication support to the implementation of the project activities with the local partners and stakeholders
- Provide guidance and support to project partners and stakeholders on UN Women corporate communications guidelines and printing norms.
- Provide support to advocacy efforts prepare press releases, articles, key messages, and another advocacy material.
- Manage the publication of materials for final approval; establish and maintain relationships with printers/ publishers
The key results have an impact on the overall performance of the Programme Unit and success in implementation of programme strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UN Women position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the Programme unit including logistical support.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation related issues.
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems.
- Creates, edits and presents information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships, demonstrating understanding of client’s perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, public relations, journalism or relevant field is required ·
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- International Development Studies, Gender/Women’s Studies is required.
- At least 2 years of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy; · Experience in media relations is an asset;
- Experience in the use of social media.
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in monitoring and reporting of development projects/ programmes;
- Experience in the United Nations systems in an asset;
- Field experience is an asset.
Please note that applications without a completed and signed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment. UN Women Personal History form (P-11) can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment.
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
For jobs from UN WOMEN in Sudan visit: UN WOMEN Jobs Page