Finance Officer – DRC
DRC (Danish Refugee Council), founded in Denmark in 1956, is Denmark’s largest and the world’s leading non-profit, independent, rights-based refugee organization.
Our vision is to assist refugees, internally displaced people and their host communities to a dignified life. We protect lives and human rights and empower beneficiaries throughout conflict displacement by providing shelter, food, and hope in terms of work, education and integration towards a sustainable future.
- Headquarters: Copenhagen, Denmark
- Founded: 1956
- Key people: Charlotte Slente – Secretary-General
|Organization||Danish Refugee Council (DRC)|
|Contract type:||National contract|
Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Finance Officer for its operations in Sudan. DRC has been present in Sudan since 2004 working across 4 area offices covering both immediate humanitarian needs but also engages in longer term development activities.
About the job
To carry out technical management of budget, cash and supporting document, while also offering guidance and support to the Programme and Support Services in all matters related to finance such as:
• Fulfil daily accounting tasks and assist in coordinating financial functions and services
• Producing relevant financial previsions and reports on a regular basis
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.
About you –
To be successful in this role we expect you to –
1. Review payment documents for accuracy, compliance with DRC/donor policies and completeness.
2. Review Balance sheet account analysis (liabilities especially reconciling advances, accruals, and un cleared cheques) on monthly basis.
3. Review and sign off cash counts daily together with the finance assistant.
4. Provide Programme and Area Management with data and technical support for BFU meetings, as well as with guidance and direction in correct utilization of budget lines.
5. Contribute to the preparation of donor reports in line with the deadlines.
6. Maintain an archiving system for transaction vouchers for all field Bases, with proper referencing and ensure they are attached on system journals and TDL.
7. Prepare monthly Bank reconciliations for Central Darfur Area Office in both USD and SDG.
8. Supervise and support the finance assistant in developing a comprehensive filing system and ensure compliance with the system.
9. Review requests for payment submitted to finance for processing to ensure compliance with minimum documentation thresholds before approval.
10. Support donor and financial audits by retrieving requested vouchers and liaison with Country Finance Coordinator for missing files.
11. Support all DRC Dynamics related tasks and adjustments in line with the Dynamics road map for Sudan program.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience in financial/accounting field
- Degree in Finance or Accounting and final certification in Chartered accounting certificate with at least 5 years work experience in finance or accounting in INGOs.
- Stable and robust character.
- Proven supervision skills, team player and proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Basic proficiency in PowerPoint and Word
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in local language
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Contract length: 8months
- Band: H
- Designation of Duty Station: Zalingei
- Start date: Immediate
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 20vSeptember 2021
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!
For jobs from Danish Refugee Council (DRC) visit : DRC Jobs Page