Engineer (Building Engineer Supervisor – NEC/NCC) – US Embassy
|Hiring Agency:||American Embassy Khartoum|
|Position Title:||Engineer – All Interested Applicants (Building Engineer Supervisor – NEC/NCC)|
|Open Period:||03/14/2021 – 03/28/2021|
|Series/Grade:||LE – 1105 11|
|work schedule:||Full Time|
IN Khartoum, SU
For More Info:
- HR Section
- [email protected]
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required:
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type Details:
Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (8 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
Under the supervision of the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager, the Building Engineer Supervisor leads a team of skilled tradespersons responsible for maintaining all of the New Embassy Compound / New Consulate Compound (NEC/NCC) operating systems. Included among these are the Mechanical and Electrical Systems, Building Automation System (BAS), Chiller Plant, Air Handling Units, VAV System, Potable Water, Sanitary Sewage, Storm Sewage, Oil Water Separator Systems, Fuel Delivery, Distribution, and Fuel Monitoring Systems, and the Fire Alarm and Fire Suppression Systems; Electrical Power Generation and Distribution Systems; Voltage Regulators; Transformers; Switchgear; Panel boards, Automatic Transfer Switches; Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) motors and controllers; and Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Systems. Additional responsibilities include supervision of the custodial and grounds maintenance staff, and overseeing an aggressive recycling and energy conservation program.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of five (5) years’ experience working as a project manager/supervisor/foreman at a manufacturing plant, major resort, hospital, office complex, or a large university/school system managing a preventative maintenance program that incorporates or utilizes a CMMS to track scheduled and unscheduled maintenance requests and their related expenses. The incumbents work experience must demonstrate a progression of increased responsibility throughout their career, including developing scopes of work, construction documents (plans and specifications) and cost estimates for new construction projects, building repairs, equipment overhauls, and equipment replacement schedules is required.
Job Knowledge: The incumbent must have superior knowledge, exceptional technical skills, and a thorough understanding of preventive maintenance techniques and practices, and the use of KPIs in managing an effective preventive maintenance program. Must be thoroughly familiar with heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems with an in-depth understanding of thermodynamics and how they apply to HVAC theories and principles, well-versed in HVAC controls including motor starters, thermostats, humidistats, variable frequency drive (VFD) motors and controllers, motorized and gravity dampers, building pressurization, building automation systems and sensors; a thorough understanding of International Building Code standards, mechanical / ASHREA standards, indoor air quality standards, ductwork sizing and air flow principles, and fire and life safety codes. Must have excellent knowledge of power generation and electrical distribution systems, voltage regulation, automatic transfer switches, branch circuit electrical wiring, and Ohms law. Must be an experienced supervisor capable of managing a medium size maintenance staff of 10-25 subordinate personnel. Proficient in the use of MS Office software (Word, Excel, Power Point etc.) AutoCAD and other special computer programs required for this position.
The completion of a 4-year Bachelor of Science degree, or equivalent, in Mechanical/Electrical/General/Civil Engineering from an accredited university program is required. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited or equivalent by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) (or a host-country engineering board equivalent) as a professional engineering curriculum.
English: Level IV (Fluent, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
Arabic: Level IV (Fluent, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The incumbent will have superior ability and skills in the following areas:
- Work independently with minimal supervision from the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager;
- Able to serve as the acting Facility Manager in his/hers absence ; .
- Develop and manage work plans for self and others including the distribution of work assignments to facility maintenance personnel;
- Manage an effective preventive maintenance program, using CMMS software;
- Develop statements of work, perform feasibility studies for proposed projects, draft and assemble construction documents (plans and specifications), and cost estimates;
- Maintain an adequate inventory of critical spare parts and specialized tools for equipment and systems;
- Assist in developing annual budgets, responses to DOS requests for facility data, and tracking of unscheduled maintenance issues;
- Apply International Building Code and industry best practices to facility management and small, Post-managed projects.
- Must be able to read and understand civil, structural, mechanical and electrical drawings including as-built and new project layout drawings, equipment schedules, wiring schematics, and riser diagrams; and,skilled at writing detailed technical reports that may include translating technical jargon into laymen’s language.
- Must have a driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must be highly organized.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in U.S. Mission may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
How to Apply:
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- University Degree
- Professional Diploma or License (Host-country engineering board accreditation)
- Other Document (Experience certificates)
- Other Document 2 (Experience certificates)
- Driver’s License
- Proof of Citizenship
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in U.S. Mission.