Deputy Team Leader – MCE
|Organization||MERCY CORPS EUROPE (MCE)|
|Job Title:||Deputy Team Leader|
|Seniority Level:||Team Leader|
|Salary Level:||2A-1,458 USD|
|Location:||Khartoum with up to 70% domestic travel|
|Date Posted :||20/12/2020|
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operational in Sudan since 2004 and currently leads humanitarian assistance and development programs South Darfur (SDS), South Kordofan (SKS), Blue Nile, Gedaref, White Nile and Khartoum States.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps Europe, formerly known as Mercy Corps Scotland, has been operational in Sudan since 2009 and currently leads humanitarian assistance efforts in conflict-affected South Darfur and South Kordofan States, supporting IDPs, returnees, refugees and host communities. Mercy Corps is also engaged in the South Sudanese refugee response in refugee camps across White Nile State. Mercy Corps’ current areas of programming include food security and livelihoods, WASH, nutrition, peace building and protection.
General Position Summary
Mercy Corps Europe’s Sudan office is seeking to recruit individuals to fill the vacant position of Deputy Team Leader (DTL). This is a country-wide position that requires significant travel and clear understanding of multiple program, their objectives, key activities and organization of each unique program cycles. The Deputy Team Leader must be knowledgeable on internal compliance requirements and grant management tools in order to support the program teams in each office location stay on time/on budget and with high quality programs. S/he may spend extended periods of time in the field offices when necessary to finalize an important activity.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Program Management & Oversight
- Will learn and stay abreast of all aspects of Mercy Corps emergency program portfolio in Sudan.
- Will travel extensively to each program site, as scheduled with the Team Leader and work closely with the programs teams to ensure programs are following implementation schedules and have up-to-date planning tools (such as: procurement, recruitment and program activity planning).
- S/he will lead or participate in each program kick-off meeting and support the Team Leader in ensuring the timely follow-through on key activities by each program team.
- When traveling, s/he will assess and review program implementation, program quality and take action / trouble shoot where necessary. S/he will highlight key areas of concern to the CPM and collectively, find solutions to areas which need support.
- The Deputy Team Leader will review major field activities for compliance with finance and operations requirements. S/he will highlight key areas of concern and also identify areas in which Mercy Corps can save time, resources in the effective implementation of programs.
- When traveling, the SO will act as a proxy to the Team Leader in terms of management and oversight. S/he will have authority to review all activities, planning and paperwork.
- S/he will support the development of reports and donor correspondence. S/he will liaise with partners and authorities as required by supervisor.
- S/he will stay in constant contact with the Team Leader and provide frequent updates on key decisions, issues.
- The Deputy Team Leader will support proposal development in both program ideas, budgeting and gathering other, necessary information.
- Ensure adherence to program management minimum (PM@MC) standards in carrying out his/her duties, advising and supporting other staff in the same as required.
- To the best of his/her ability, the Deputy Team Leader will help design programs that integrate emergency activities with Mercy Corps strategies in resilience, market systems development and public health/WASH. These should consider and apply Mercy Corps’ cross-cutting themes in gender, accountability, climate change, markets and safety/security.
Team Capacity and Communications
- The Deputy Team Leader will help build the capacity of all relevant team members to implement program and utilize the necessary tools.
- S/he will help document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- S/he will train team members on program design or other, technical subjects and specific sectors, as necessary. S/he will relay additional technical needs to the Khartoum heads of department, as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned as relates to the effective implementation of program activities.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
None. Deputy Team Leader has the authority to advise on the issuance disciplinary warnings and will provide input to performance evaluations to program implementation teams. S/he is expected to raise concerns to the Team Leader and represent on his/her behalf.
Reports Directly to: Team Leader
Works Directly with: Program Manager in each office. Country MEL Manager, Data Officer and MEL team, Country Finance and Operations departments.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent in field work: preferable in Development Works or Management.
- 5-6 years experience in field offices with strong Project Management skills.
- An ability to communicate clearly and well. Must be self-disciplined with his/her schedule and work closely with program teams to stay on time/on budget with all program activities.
- Must be able to have difficult conversations with team members and make key decisions for the better implementation of a project.
- Fluent in both spoken and written English and Arabic.
- Previous experience working with INGO programs preferred but not necessary.
- Creative thinker – we are not looking for someone who will copy/paste previous programs and reports.
- Relevant experience in field survey/data collection techniques, data entry and verification
- Good understanding and skills at data management.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Strong team coordination, listening, and consensus building skills.
A strong team member will be conscientious, with excellent judgement, capable of multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem-solving and attention to detail with strategic vision. S/he must have the confidence, and humility, to work effectively with a large variety of people who will be diverse culturally, economically and in social status. S/he must be sensitive to political and cultural nuance and able to consistently apply excellent judgment to a variety of demanding and fast-changing situations, as well as the ability to foster solid working relationships with Mercy Corps staff, LNGOs and CBOs. Working as part of a team and coordinating with project personnel, as well as strong organizational skills, are essential to this position.
How To Apply
Applicants should submit their academic and experience certificates, CVs, and application letter to Federal Humanitarian Aid Commission (HAC). Copies of applicant’s CV and application letters only should be sent by e-mail to [email protected].
For Jobs From MERCY CORPS EUROPE Visit: MCE Jobs
To help you improve your career, we offer you free courses offered by International Organizations and Universities on our site: English Courses