ICT Support Assistant – UNV
|Organization||United Nations Volunteers|
|Duty Station||Khartoum (SDN)|
|Language Skills||English, Arabic|
|Duration||12 months with possibility of extension|
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of ICT management systems and strategies
- Effective functioning of the CO hardware and software packages
- Support to networks administration
- Provision of administrative support
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Supports implementation of ICT management systems and strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines, and procedures for the CO technology environment.
- Support to the use of Atlas (UNDP’s implementation of ERP) functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
Provision of inputs to preparation of results-oriented workplans.
2. Ensures effective functioning of the CO hardware and software packages, focusing on the achievement of the following results
- Performance of specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs.
- Assistance in the installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades
- Assistance in upgrading patch and anti-virus programs on a timely basis.
- Monitoring of file server traffic, usage and performance on a frequent and regular basis.
- Support to users in backing up and restoring their files, as well as in virus detection, removal and prevention.
3. Supports networks administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assistance in troubleshooting and monitoring of network problems.
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access.
Assistance in backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs. Assistance to organization of off-site storage of backups.
4. Provides administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of software and hardware.
- Maintenance of a library of ICT related reference materials.
- Maintenance of the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of l data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports as required.
- Provision of ICT support to key events.
5. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation and assistance in the organization of training for the CO staff on ICT issues.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Required degree level: Secondary education
Education – Additional Comments:
Secondary education with relevant certifications in hardware and software management and application, Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) required. If certification is not available at the time of recruitment, it should be obtained within 6 months.
University Degree in Computer Science would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
Required experience: 60 Months
5 years of relevant working experience, with secondary education
2 years with university degree is required.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Hardware and systems maintenance, operation and administration, Database design, administration and maintenance, Software and applications development and analysis.
Area of expertise details:
Network administration, support to management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Strategic Alignment of Management Practice (HQ & RSCs)
Level 1.1: Collecting information, identifying best practice
Gathers information on best practices in the relevant management practice in his/her area of responsibility
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
Uses information/databases/other management systems.
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
Driving license: No
Accountability, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Judgement and Decision-making, Leadership, Managing Performance, Self-Management.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Sudan and legal residents in Sudan with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
For Jobs From United Nations Volunteers Visit: UNV Jobs
To help you improve your career, we offer you free courses offered by International Organizations and Universities on our site: English Courses