Call Center Operator (Roster) – UNOPS
|Organization||United Nations Office for Project Services|
|Job Title||Call Centre Operator (Roster) LICA-5|
|Department/office||AFR, ETOH, Sudan|
|Duty station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Contract type||Local ICA Support|
|Application period||29-Nov-2020 to 09-Jan-2021|
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
Sudan is in the grip of a humanitarian crisis fueled by years of economic sanctions, chronic underdevelopment, conflict and natural disasters. The country has seen an overall increase in the number of people in need of humanitarian assistance from 5.4 million people in 2015 to 9.3 million in 2020. Nearly 2 million people remain internally displaced, following decades of conflict. The majority are living in camps and settlements where conditions remain dire, and the root causes that led to their displacement remain unaddressed. Further, the country hosts more than a million refugees, providing safety and services, with host communities sharing their meagre resources. Some 6.2 million people are in need of emergency food assistance, and more than 2.7 million children suffer from acute malnutrition. Disease outbreaks, malnutrition, food insecurity, and climatic shocks, continue to affect the lives of Sudanese people. With fewer resources, people adopt negative coping mechanisms, exposing them to more protection risks—particularly gender-based violence and increasing school dropout and child labor.
Against this backdrop, the United Nations proposes a joint initiative between multiple UN agencies and partners, called Salaam Sudan, to ensure the vulnerable people have a platform to voice their concerns and receive critical information and support in times of need. Salaam Sudan will be a toll-free hotline center to enhance efficient and effective coordination of UN and partner agencies, funds, and programmes, and NGOs operating in Sudan. Under the leadership of the Government of Sudan (GoS), Salaam Sudan will collect and circulate information on the urgent and emerging priorities of affected populations, enhancing access to assistance, and linking callers to established protection referrals mechanisms. It will be an integrated call centre, based within the Humanitarian Aid Commission of the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (MoLSA), and serve as a single point of contact to provide information about assistance available throughout the country, and to register feedback and complaints about the support provided.
Under the direct supervision of the Call Centre Supervisor, and the general overwiew of the Project Manager, the Operator will perform the following duties with effectiveness, transparency, and integrity:
- Liase with supervisors, other operators, and third parties to gather information and resolve issues;
- Handle calls in a timely and professional manner, including distressing calls. Ensure that all calls are treated with the degree of empathy, respect and understanding commensurate with the sensitivity of the call and the vulnerability of the caller;
- Write clear and concise caller notes in English, ensuring a rapid call handling time;
- Ensure data protection and data entry is accurate;
- Guarantee that all information collected is confidential at all levels;
- Build and foster a pleasant and effective working environment;
- Attend briefings, meetings, and trainings called by supervisors;
- Remain informed of accurate and up-to-date information on the humanitarian response and information relevant to affected communities;
- Ensure supervisor’s instructions are implemented effectively and in duly manner;
- Relay accurate and timely information to callers in a professional manner;
- Flag information gaps and call trend analysis to supervisors. Ensure that enquiries that fall beyond the scope of developed scripts and guidance notes are referred to the supervisor for further action;
- Demonstrate an ability to learn quickly, follow procedures, and act professionally at all times;
- Be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to their job; incumbents may be asked to perform other duties which reasonably correspond to the general character of their job and their level of responsibility.
Candidates will be required to work in shifts (day-night-weekends)
- Bachelor Degree in Communication, Marketing, Business Administration or other related field
- A secondary education in combination with a total of 6 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- At least two years of work experience in a call centre or other related field for handling customer inquiries is required.
- Experience in usage of computers and Google suits/Office software packages is required.
- Advance knowledge of automated procurement systems, and experience in handling of web based management systems is desirable.
- Analytical skills is required
- Experience working in the humanitarian sector
- Availability to work in shifts, including night shifts and weekends.
- Fluency in English & Arabic is required
Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self And Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: Local ICA Support 5
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – Sudan
The UNOPS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners to support humanitarian response, recovery and development initiatives. UNOPS is the United Nations sector lead for the Basic Infrastructure Sector in Sudan and helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: water resource management, education, census and elections, human resource management and mine action.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.