Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Officer – Internews Network
|Job Title:||Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Officer|
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Rooted in Trust project works to combat COVID-19 rumors and misinformation in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Iraq, Zimbabwe, Colombia, Brazil, Mali, DRC, Sudan, and South Sudan. We work to create impact at the local level and inform approaches to rumor management at the global level. The project is supported by a Global Technical Advisory team made up of media, humanitarian, data science and information management experts.
In Phase 1 of the project, we collected more than 19 thousand rumors in 14 languages and supported more than 30 local trusted information providers. In this critical phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian contexts, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger and more collaborative partnerships between information providers (such as local media) and humanitarian and health sources.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to the Sudan Country Director, the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, and Learning (MERL) Officer will support Internews’ programs in Sudan and oversee all monitoring and evaluation activities. The MERL Officer will be responsible for designing, implementing, and managing M&E frameworks and systems; collecting, verifying, and reporting data on program activities; and capturing impact, learning, and best practices.
This role will be based in Khartoum, Sudan.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Develop and implement M&E systems for Internews projects; identify obstacles to implementation and recommend appropriate solutions;
- Attend the project activities and trainings and work with the project team to monitor them properly; this includes creating evaluation tools, collecting data firsthand from partners/beneficiaries and analyzing the collected data;
- Support the program team in creating a framework and procedures for the monitoring and evaluation of project activities;
- Collaborate with the project team on appropriate data collection methods, tools, and reporting formats and prepare the M&E frameworks;
- Write reports, analyze findings and provide recommendations as required for project planning, performance management, and reporting;
- Undertake field-monitoring missions to assess progress of the project implementation using Internews’ standard monitoring and evaluation tools and methodologies;
- Participate in periodic review and planning meetings, generating minutes and lessons learnt documents and discuss results of data and plan action steps to build on strengths and address the weaknesses;
- Support the project team in conducting field assessments and surveys;
- Develop close working relationships with all project partners, participants and stakeholders;
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative field monitoring and verification of project implementation;
- Provide the Project team with the needed paperwork to help a better planning, monitor and control the activities;
- Work closely with the program team to ensure the project success through documenting relevant success stories;
- Any other related duties assigned by the supervisor to ensure program success.
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- University degree in economics, mathematics, statistics, social sciences or any equivalent is desirable;
- At least 3 years of experience in the design and implementation of M&E&R&L activities implemented by national/international NGOs;
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports;
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies;
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Knowledge of use of data analysis software is desirable;
- Experience in planning and managing surveys;
- Demonstrated experience with training and capacity-building;
- Proficient in written and spoken English and Arabic is required;
- Good writing and/or reporting skills;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk location. Conditions in the field may include, but are not limited to, the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruit and vegetables, limited access to high speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.