Media Liaison Officer, Rooted in Trust – Internews Network
|Job Title:||Media Liaison Officer, Rooted in Trust|
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Rooted in Trust project works to combat COVID-19 rumors and misinformation in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Iraq, Zimbabwe, Colombia, Brazil, Mali, DRC, Sudan, and South Sudan. We work to create impact at the local level and inform approaches to rumor management at the global level. The project is supported by a Global Technical Advisory team made up of media, humanitarian, data science and information management experts.
In Phase 1 of the project, we collected more than 19 thousand rumors in 14 languages and supported more than 30 local trusted information providers. In this critical phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian contexts, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger and more collaborative partnerships between information providers (such as local media) and humanitarian and health sources.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Media Liaison Officer will manage relationships between the project team and local media. They will help to better understand and respond to the needs of journalists in this crisis in relation to information, content and skills and approaches in combating misinformation.
This is a remote-first position. The ideal candidate is based in Sudan; however, remote candidates based elsewhere will also be considered. You must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Create a database of media organizations and prominent journalists in Sudan, including basic brief of capacity, language needs and key contacts;
- Create or support existing peer-to-peer learning platforms for journalists in Sudan to understand the journalists and media organizations’ support needs, share story ideas, ask questions and receive support from Internews experts and health and humanitarian partners;
- Connect with smaller, community-based media and media who may broadcast in different languages to assess their needs;
- Connect with local, national and regional media and journalists’ associations;
- Investigate what platforms (if any) are being used by media in Sudan to share COVID-19 related information – particularly media and news outlets known to be utilized by marginalized and displaced populations;
- Establish, or contribute to existing, information sharing platforms to connect media with verified information and Internews products and support;
- Track the use of Internews partner-generated content and information;
- Connect with Media Engagement and training specialists in Internews offices in the region to provide support in accessing COVID-19 information and resources to support programming and offer media trainings;
- Media roundtables: organize semi-regular roundtable events designed to discuss pressing, timely issues during the COVID-19 pandemic. This will include: choosing the appropriate date/platform/venue; identifying guest and topics, etc. and identifying media, humanitarian and other Internews partners to invite to the event, including large and small media houses, freelance journalists, and influencers as well as humanitarian and health agencies;
- With the Project Officer, design a feedback methodology to evaluate media-related activities; and
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5 years of relevant work experience in the media in Sudan
- Strong experience with communication, media development, social media monitoring, or similar
- Experience working in humanitarian contexts and/or working in challenging environments and having a strong understanding of how to work with local authorities, international agencies like the UN, international NGOs and local organizations and community representatives
- Experience organizing and conducting media trainings
- Excellent information management skills
- Strong interpersonal communication, organizational, teamwork, facilitation and presentation skills
- Strong writing skills and proven ability to produce high-quality reports and work under tight deadlines
- Strong Microsoft Word and Excel skills
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic; knowledge of other local languages an advantage
- Strong written and spoken English skills
Note: This position is posted in a High Physical Risk location. Conditions in the field may include, but are not limited to, the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruits and vegetables, limited access to high-speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.