Data Analyst, Rooted in Trust – Internews Network
|Job Title:||Data Analyst, Rooted in Trust|
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Rooted in Trust project works to combat COVID-19 rumors and misinformation in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Iraq, Zimbabwe, Colombia, Brazil, Mali, DRC, Sudan, and South Sudan. We work to create impact at the local level and inform approaches to rumor management at the global level. The project is supported by a Global Technical Advisory team made up of media, humanitarian, data science and information management experts.
In Phase 1 of the project, we collected more than 19 thousand rumors in 14 languages and supported more than 30 local trusted information providers. In this critical phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian contexts, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger and more collaborative partnerships between information providers (such as local media) and humanitarian and health sources.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Data Analyst (DA) is tasked with wrangling qualitative and quantitative rumor data and working to find trends and information that help us better understand community perceptions of the pandemic and vaccines. The DA will help partners and/or team members to ensure qualitative data is collected in a consistent and continuous way and analyze feedback, with a focus on the concerns, fears and hopes that are behind rumors and driving misinformation. The DA will support the Internews team and its partners to address misinformation and provide input for feedback reports for humanitarian partners at the national and regional levels to inform decision-making and improve information provision.
This is a remote-first position. The ideal candidate is based in Sudan; however, remote candidates based elsewhere will also be considered. You must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Support feedback gathering by Internews staff and partners, evaluating methodology and suggesting improvements where necessary;
- Collate, clean and analyze data collected by Internews and partner organizations through community engagement activities (call-in radio shows, social media interactions, face-to-face interactions, etc., including those by frontline aid workers, media and other channels as deemed relevant);
- Produce regular Rumor and Feedback reports for humanitarian, media and health partners to improve their understanding of concerns and questions among the affected population;
- Collaborate with researchers, journalists and humanitarian communicators;
- Provide input into the editorial process by providing regular updates to the content production team on recurrent and emerging topics and trends;
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities to assess impact, reach and quality of the ongoing project;
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor; and
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Strong qualitative data analysis, research and information management experience in fast-changing humanitarian contexts and with variable datasets
- Experience and/or understanding of sentiment analysis and/or social media listening tools a plus
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian system to ensure data collection (Kobo, ODK) and provision follows the Core Humanitarian Standards and that information can be sourced in a timely manner among partners on the ground
- Strong writing skills to ensure Humanitarian Bulletins are accurate and incorporate humanitarian principles and editorial guidelines
- Experience working in humanitarian and/or health emergencies
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning experience a plus
- Strong understanding of the local context; network of local peers active in social media and news channels
- Data visualization skills and knowledge of relevant software to produce infographics a plus
- Fluency in Arabic and English; knowledge of other local languages an advantage
- Strong understanding of and commitment towards the editorial values of the project
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, a good problem-solver, good humored and flexible
Note: This position is posted in a High Physical Risk location. Conditions in the field may include, but are not limited to, the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruits and vegetables, limited access to high-speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internewspage.