Protection Coordinator – DRC
DRC (Danish Refugee Council), founded in Denmark in 1956, is Denmark’s largest and the world’s leading non-profit, independent, rights-based refugee organization.
Our vision is to assist refugees, internally displaced people and their host communities to a dignified life. We protect lives and human rights and empower beneficiaries throughout conflict displacement by providing shelter, food, and hope in terms of work, education and integration towards a sustainable future.
- Headquarters: Copenhagen, Denmark
- Founded: 1956
- Key people: Charlotte Slente – Secretary-General
|Organization||Danish Refugee Council (DRC)|
|Contract type:||Expatriate or national contract|
Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Protection Coordinator for its operations in Sudan. DRC has been present in Sudan since 2004 working across 4 area offices covering both immediate humanitarian needs but also engages in longer term development activities.
About the job
This position provides has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The protection coordinator will lead on the development of a country protection strategy, which will guide the further development of the protection program in country. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Protection Coordinator delivers organisation’s policies and programmes within sector area and functions as a specialist within sector area.
Sector responsibilities: Advocacy for the rights of displaced people in their context of displacement, child protection initiatives, individual protection assistance based on vulnerability, legal aid, land & property rights, sexual and gender-based violence prevention, registration services for the internally displaced and refugees, monitoring of rights and rights awareness-raising, facilitation of return and repatriation processes.
About you –
To be successful in this role we expect you to –
Coordination and representation
• Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on issues related to protection programming in Sudan
• Represent DRC at relevant coordination meetings
• Ensure integration of protection activities with other DRC sectors
• Coordinate with sector counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects
• Ensure good representation and reputation of the protection sector at all levels
• Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
• Ensure and actively participate in regular sector meetings and DRC global protection forums
General Programming & Operations
• Support in the development of sector needs assessments in coordination with program managers
• Ensure DRC protection programming is implemented at a high technical standard across all of DRC’s program operations
• Provides technical guidance on the development of all DRC proposals ensuring protection is effectively mainstreamed, and is designed to a high standard when protection is a standalone intervention
• Assist in developing project plans and budgets for funding
• Assist in developing the projects’ Monitoring & Evaluation tools
• Assist in project implementation and reporting
• Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities as per need
As Coordinator the post-holder is responsible for the following:
• Responsible for coordinating strategy and operations within a specific discipline in a region or country
• Has technical line responsibilities for DRC protection program managers, supporting them in standardizing approaches when relevant and ensuring all program is implemented at a high standard and in accordance with DRC global strategy and policy.
• Minimum 3-5 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO
• Master’s degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field
• Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing
• Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Experience in project development
• Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organisations
• Full professional proficiency in English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Contract length: 12 months
- Band: G
- Designation of Duty Station: Khartoum
- Start date: Immediate
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 17 September 2021
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!
For jobs from Danish Refugee Council (DRC) visit : DRC Jobs Page