Civil Engineer (Roster) – UNOPS
|Organization||United Nations Office for Project Services|
|Job Title||Civil Engineer (Roster)|
|Department/office||AFR, ETMCO, Sudan|
|Duty station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Contract type||Local ICA Specialist|
|Contract level||LICA Specialist-8|
|Duration||Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds, and/or satisfactory performance|
|Application period||25-Jul-2021 to 08-Aug-2021|
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Programme and the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Civil Engineer is required to perform the following specific duties and responsibilities ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity:
(Coordination, Delivery, and Performance):
- Responsible for day-to-day coordination with the contractors and suppliers according to the needs and requirements on site;
- Inspects and report on contractor’s works in progress ensuring that the contractor meets UNOPS quality standards;
- Provide support and guidance to the contractor and assists in resolving site problems, as necessary;
- Responsible for supervision of technical staff and consultants assigned to the project, and the assignment and monitoring of duties during the progress of works;
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, as well as Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental (HSSE) aspects into the project during the design and construction phases;
- Ensure PSEA measures are implemented throughout the project implementation, as per the country PSEA action plan;
- Perform other related duties as required from Project Manager.
Governance, Monitoring, and Reporting:
- Check contractors’ and suppliers set out and works, including compliance with contracts specifications and ensures that contractors and suppliers comply with their work plans to complete work with specified scope of work, time frame, and budget;
- Attend daily the project site(s) in order to monitor progress of works, identify the existing problems and provide appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the Project Manager;
- Responsible for preparation of progress reports on construction activities, according to the agreed timeframe of works and submission of such on a weekly basis to the Project Manager;
- Assess and report on the project closing plans, archiving of cost and progress report and hand over all related reports to the Project Manager;
- Evaluate and assess works schedules and programmes, including the comparison with the schedule baselines and reports to the Project Manager accordingly;
- Check all laboratory reports, operation and maintenance manuals, and keep records and report to the Project Manager accordingly;
- Assess the work activities of contractor/s, measure completed work and make recommendations to the Project Manager for progress payments to contractors.
- Maintain records, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures;
- Responsible for the preparation and verification of a database for the available materials shipped to the project, schedules of labor force, and monitoring of quality of such during the progress of works;
- Check, verify and approve the interim payments submitted by the Contractor/s and submit detailed reports to the Project Manager.
A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University in Civil Engineering or Construction Management is required. A Master’s degree from a recognized University is desired.
- At least 2 years of experience in civil works design, supervision or implementation of buildings construction projects in the region is required.
- Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 and higher) is required.
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
- High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the positions field of expertise. Good experience in working with the G-Suite platform including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is desired.
- Prince2, PMP or similar project management certification is an asset.
Fluency in English and Arabic.
Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self And Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type:Local Individual Contract-Roster
Contract level: L- ICA 8
Contract duration: Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or to satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – Sudan
The UNOPS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners to support humanitarian response, recovery and development initiatives. UNOPS is the United Nations sector lead for the Basic Infrastructure Sector in Sudan and helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: water resource management, education, census and elections, human resource management and mine action.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
For jobs from UNOPS visit: UNOPS Jobs Page