Capacity Building Senior Officer (Roster) – UNOPS
|Organization||United Nations Office for Project Services|
|Job categories||Project Management|
|Job Title||Capacity Building Senior Officer (Roster)|
|Department/office||AFR, ETMCO, Sudan|
|Duty station||Port Sudan, Sudan|
|Contract type||Local ICA Specialist|
|Contract level||LICA Specialist-9|
|Application period||02-Aug-2021 to 17-Aug-2021|
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Under the overall direction of the Senior Project Manager and the technical Experts, the Capacity Building Officer (Workshop Facilitator) will be responsible for the process management of the identified Planning/Workshop/Consultation activity as indicated in the approved plan/design. Process management would include ensuring the preparation, execution, evaluation, as well as providing guidance to the documentation of the event.
Scope of Professional Services and Deliverables:
- Develop concept notes, educational material and training methods for online and in-person activities relating to the workshop
- Develop a detailed workshop activity design and methodology based on the activity objectives and program that will detail the methods, timeframe, and resource requirements for the program.
- Provide facilitation during online and in-person workshops/trainings, using interactive and engaging facilitation methods to maximize participation; This will include: Planning, Organizing, Coordination, and Delivery for the whole duration of the activity including: preparation and/or compilation of all the resource materials, schedule of activities, powerpoint presentations, templates, and practical exercises; Face-to-face workshops; Question and answers; Individual and group training exercises;
- Assist in developing Measurement and Evaluation tools to measure the progression of participants’ competencies and record participants’ responses and workshop/training lessons, outcomes, and findings;
- Coordinate with UNOPS to ensure all logistics/preparations requirements are in place
- Coordinate daily debrief with the UNOPS and Resource Persons/ Trainers in situ;
- Provide guidance to activity documenter to document/capture activity process, outputs and assessments and review documentation prepared by documenter prior to submission
- Submit an activity report which shall include highlights of the activity, process notes, and recommendations
- Advanced Degree (Master) or equivalent, preferably in Water management, Communication, Education, Business, Public Administration , social sciences, sciences, management, project management development studies, or related field.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor) in the above-mentioned areas in combination with an additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
b. Work Experience
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in training, development, communication, capacity building, knowledge management, facilitation, Project/program management, M&E or other related fields;
- Computer literate; Knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint Presentations is desirable;
- Experience in organizing training is an asset;
- Experience in working with a range of stakeholders is an asset;
- Prior experience and sound knowledge of water utilities management is an asset;
- Excellent communication and coordination; skills and ability to work in a team to achieve objectives is desirable.
c. Language requirements
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Arabic is required.
Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self And Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local individual contractor agreement
Contract level: LICA-9
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – Job-specific
Port Sudan, the major economic center of the Republic of Sudan’s and the capital of Red Sea State in Sudan. has limited rainfall that varies widely from year to year as well as within years. Droughts occur regularly with devastating impacts. The climate is predicted to get hotter and probably drier, further increasing the scarcity of water, marginalising livelihoods and increasing tensions over water allocation and use. Water scarcity impacts negatively on people’s lives and livelihoods, increasing poverty, causing local conflict and driving migration.
Background of the project
FCDO water program in Sudan
The FCDO Urban Water for Sudan (UW4S) programme is working to improve the health and nutrition, as well as to reduce the economic burden, for traditional residents as well as Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in five state capitals in Sudan, including Port Sudan.
The UW4S project seeks to improve the equity of water supply and complementary sanitation and hygiene behaviour change in a sustainable manner. It focuses on holistic planning, provides basic infrastructure and helps state authorities build their ability to sustainably manage, operate and maintain their water services, with improved engagement with citizens.
Under the first phase of the FCDO project, information of the Port Sudan water supply situation was gathered and analysed as inputs to the Strategic Investment Plan (SIP). The study resulted in the SIP and planning documents for 14 work packages under three stages; emergency rehabilitation and TA, priority rehabilitation and long term interventions.
Urban water for Port Sudan project
The project is based on the priorities identified in the SIP, specifically, SIP work packages 1 to 4 (emergency works and Phase 2 technical assistance). This project covers components of the Stage 1 Emergency works and part of the Stage 2 Priority works capacity building and technical assistance package. The project’s scope of work is aligned with the available DFID budget and takes account of work being funded from other sources or implemented by others such as the AfDB.
The FCDO UW4S programme- Port Sudan component objective is to support sustainable water provision in Part Sudan through strengthening the capacity of the Red Sea Water Corporation.
Job Specific information
The CBO is assigned all or part of the following duties which are performed according to organizational needs and structure:
Included in the critical activities are the conduct of training, workshops and conferences involving different stakeholders. These can be different targeted activities related to planning, consultations, capacity building/training that will engage target stakeholders from the public and private sectors and civil society organizations.
The project, therefore, needs the services of competent and professional facilitators that over-all manage the training/workshop/conference programs so that expected results are achieved. The Workshop Facilitator/s will be working closely with the project’s technical advisors in the development of the activity program design, methods, and requirements. He/she will also provide the overall guidance to ensure that the planning/workshop/consultation process and outputs are properly documented as a reference for all stakeholders.
For jobs from UNOPS visit: UNOPS Jobs Page