Humanitarian Data Reporting Analyst – Internews Network
The Rooted in Trust project aims to disrupt and mitigate the flow of misleading, inaccurate or malign information for vulnerable populations affected by humanitarian crises during COVID-19. Internews’ methodologies are part of the wider humanitarian Community Engagement and Accountability efforts and contribute to Risk Communication & Community Engagement (RCCE) efforts from health and humanitarian partners, by ensuring that community perspectives are captured to inform RCCE strategies and that concerns, rumors and questions are addressed with reliable information that comes from, and is created by, local media or other reliable information providers on a variety of both traditional and social media platforms.
This approach galvanizes and supports local media, particularly those trusted and used by vulnerable communities experiencing humanitarian crises, to fully play their role as information providers, as facilitators of conversations within their communities, and as watchdogs and agents of accountability for responders and service providers. Internews will ensure that the work of humanitarian and health organizations is shaped by and responsive to the expressed needs of vulnerable communities and local contexts as the pandemic unfolds.
The Humanitarian Data Analyst (HDA) will help partners and/or team members to ensure qualitative data is collected in a consistent and continuous way and analyzing feedback with a focus on the concerns, fears and hopes that are behind the rumors and drive misinformation. The HDA will support the Internews team and its partners to address misinformation and provide input for feedback reports for humanitarian partners on national and regional level to inform decision-making and improve the information provision with timely, locally-relevant and reliable information people trust.
Note: This position is anticipated to start in early September and is a full time, 3 month position. Please submit your application as soon as possible for consideration.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Support feedback gathering by Internews staff and partners by evaluating methodology and suggesting improvements where necessary;
- Collate, clean and analyze data collected by Internews and partner organizations through community engagement activities like call-in radio shows, social media interactions, face-to-face interactions, including those by frontline aid workers, media and other channels as deemed relevant.
- Produce regular Humanitarian Feedback Bulletins for humanitarian partners to improve their understanding of the concerns and questions among the affected population;
- Provide input into the editorial process by providing regular updates to the Content Creator and the content production team on recurrent or emerging topics and trends;
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities to assess impact, reach and quality of the ongoing project;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisors;
- Understanding of and demonstrating commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Strong qualitative data analysis, research and information management experience in fast-changing humanitarian contexts and with variable datasets;
- Experience and/or understanding of sentiment analysis and/or social media listening tools a plus;
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian system to ensure data collection (Kobo, ODK) and provision follows the Core Humanitarian Standards and information can be sourced in a timely manner among partners on the ground;
- Strong writing skills to ensure Humanitarian Bulletins are accurate and incorporate humanitarian principles and editorial guidelines;
- Experience working in humanitarian and/or health emergencies;
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning experience a plus;
- Strong understanding of the local context; and network of local peers active in social media and news channels
- Data visualization skills and knowledge of relevant software to produce info-graphics is a plus;
- Fluent in written and spoken Arabic and English, knowledge of other local languages are an advantage;
- Strong understanding of, and commitment towards editorial values of the project;
- Self-motivated and ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong understanding of, and commitment towards, editorial values of the project;
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored and flexible.