Duty Station: Khartoum
World Vision is an international Christian humanitarian organization founded in 1950 with operations in nearly 100 countries worldwide. In Sudan, World Vision has programs in Darfur, Blue Nile, East Darfur, South Kordofan & Khartoum states. Our interventions are in early childhood education, health and nutrition, income generation and sustainable livelihoods. We serve all people regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or gender.
World Vision South Khartoum seeking to recruit qualified National Sanitation and Hygiene Technical Specialist based in Khartoum.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Provide technical leadership and guide the sanitation and hygiene strategy in the WASH Program supporting the design, monitoring, evaluation, reporting, planning and partnership processes in a manner that promotes continuous improvement and innovation, in line with WV’s standards and guidelines and ensure alignment with the Government policies and strategies.(Health and Nutrition, child protection and safeguarding , food security and livelihood).
|End Results Expected
|Technical Support and coordination
• Participation in the development of National Office Strategy
• Provision of effective management and support for innovative sanitation and Hygiene interventions.
• Ensuring quality, effectiveness and timely implementation of sanitation and hygiene interventions.
• Coordination with the program areas and WSH coordinators to effectively support projects and WASH staff to carry out assessments, designs, measurements, monitoring and evaluation efforts in relation to sanitation and hygiene and in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures.
• Review to ensure that all Sanitation and Hygiene initiatives meet or exceed planned outcomes and are implemented in full compliance with GOS, WHO, SPHERE and other relevant partnership and international standards/guidelines.
• Spearhead roll out WVS project models for implementation of sanitation and Hygiene interventions
• Lead behavior change programming and communication for development (C4D) in sanitation and hygiene promotion
• Support in recruitment and induction of relevant staff required to achieve or surpass performance targets.
• To support roll out of business processes, standards and policies developed in coordination with other WVS entities that support projects interventions for WASH are aligned to WV, donor and other relevant standards;
• Assist in drafting, monitoring implementation, reporting and signing of technical agreements with line ministries and other Government agencies.
|Well Designed and effective sanitation and hygiene programs that are aligned to World Vision and government strategies.
|Accountability, Learning and Innovation
• Develop tools, monitor and evaluate Sanitation and hygiene project indicators and standards for use by the WASH Projects.
• Facilitate and support the development of monthly, quarterly, semi- annual and end of projects reports on WASH, ensuring that the reports are prepared in a timely manner and in accordance with donor and WV Sudan requirements.
• Ensure that business processes, standards and guidelines related to Sanitation and Hygiene interventions are developed in coordination with other technical programs specialist & are effectively implemented by all projects.
• Ensure Integration of Crosscutting themes in WASH.
• Co-ordinate regular learning forums to profile, communicate and ensure adaptation of promising practices.
• Co-ordinate identification, documentation and sharing of promising practices to inform evidence programing in WASH.
• Co-ordinate new and innovative WASH research ideas to document, publish and share findings
• Collate, analyze, interpret and utilize WASH monitoring data for reporting and decision making.
• Participate in the dissemination and rolling out of the FY21-25 WASH Business plan, including rolling out of universal coverage.
• Participate in the design and implementation of baseline surveys, needs assessments, and impact evaluations relevant to the sector
• Assist in monitoring program progress to ensure donor compliance and program quality and provide technical advice, support and capacity to sanitation and hygiene officers and WASH staff from National NGO partners.
• Provide program updates as needed by the department and key stakeholders.
• Participate in joint planning and monitoring in close consultation with FSL, Health and Nutrition sectors.
• Work closely with M & E department to support and strengthen planning, monitoring, inspection and evaluation procedures.
• Support mainstreaming of faith and development, gender and disability inclusion and safeguarding in WASH programming
|To ensure proper monitoring and progress tracking of projects.
Timely submission of reports
In order to maximize impact
Build World Vision Sudan profile in Sanitation and Hygiene within the country and beyond
Accountability to Affected Population (AAP)
• Coordinate capacity building of staff and communities in programming and implementation of Sanitation and Hygiene interventions.
• Impart appropriate mentoring, coaching and supervision in order to equip, motivate and empower WASH specialists within WVS.
• Coordinate with the WASH Coordinators in the program areas (states) to provide the staff and projects with the appropriate orientation needed to facilitate attainment of Child wellbeing outcomes.
• Identify capacity gaps in WASH team to inform the national level staff capacity development strategy
• Ensure skills and capacity development for staff and partners on World Vision Sanitation and Hygiene approaches.
• Support WASH staff to successfully engage with key internal and external stakeholders.
|Highly skilled staff in sanitation and hygiene, well updated on current trends in the sector. Quality WASH programming and implementation
• Lead in development and utilization of MOUs / working agreements with sector strategic, funding and program/project implementation partners
• Participate in Go-No Go Processes, write ups, meeting with prospective donors and submission of concepts/proposals
• Technically support the resource acquisition team to develop proposals/concepts to prospective donors and Support offices
• Respond effectively to calls and queries by donors and SOs on WASH in conjunction with the Resource Acquisition and Management team
|Contribute to the acquisition of quality sustained funding for ministry. Program implementation towards aspired child wellbeing outcomes is adequately facilitated.
|Engagement Networking and Advocacy
• Establish and maintain strategic contacts with partners to support WASH programming.
• Coordinate involvement of WV Sudan in key National/ International Days.
• Ensure WV Sudan’s representation in key strategic national/international WASH related working groups and forums.
• Lead in development and utilization of MOUs / working agreements with strategic partners.
• Promote advocacy on Sanitation and Hygiene issues through development of position papers and policy briefs for Advocacy at National & County Levels.
• Collaborate with line ministries and other relevant organizations in providing technical support and assistance to Sanitation and Hygiene projects;
|World Vision Sudan is effectively represented in key networks Effective representation in sector coordination forum and Technical Working Groups Strong collaborative networks established and maintained with strategic partners World Vision Sudan is well positioned and profiled as a partner of choice.
|Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
|To address ongoing program needs as may arise
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Preferably Master’s degree or bachelor’s degree in public health/Environmental health or related degree.
- At least 7 years’ experience in designing, planning, implementation, supervising and reporting on WASH projects.
- A good understanding of communication for development
- Thorough understanding of various Sanitation and hygiene approaches like CLTS, Design for behavior change/barrier analysis, sanitation marketing among others
- Must have both an extensive conceptual understanding of and demonstrated practical command for program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation principles
- He/ she should have demonstrated track record in proposal development, funding acquisitions and grant management of various donor funded projects.
- High integrity, reliable and dependable
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to coach, train and building capacity of fellow staff
- Ability to work and deliver results under minimum supervision, often under pressure.
- Experience working in an NGO setting will be an added advantage
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English and Arabic.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including report-writing and formal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office and Lotus Notes (or another main email system such as Microsoft Outlook).
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, and ability to work with a wide range of people from different backgrounds.
- Emotional and spiritual maturity and ability to lead a team of professionals.
- Good understanding of World Vision and Sphere relief standards.
- Knowledge of and adherence to the Red Cross and NGO Code of Conduct.
- Ability to exhibit exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific local cultural context.
- Working experience in community development
- Strong experience is participation in Sector working groups
Complete Travel and/or Work Environment statements if applicable.
- Domestic Travel: 30% Regular internal travel to project areas is required.
- International Travel: 10% Periodic international travel will be required
- On call: 10% In emergency and disaster situations, the position will be required to be on-call
ALL applications should be submitted to labour office HAC not later than JULY 14th 2021.
About World Vision in Sudan
As a child-focused organisation, our goal is to see children reach their full potential. We don’t just want children to survive, we want them to thrive! We began working in Sudan in 1983, our programmes were initially operational until 1988. In June 2004, we resumed operations, in response to the Darfur Crisis.
Today, our teams of dedicated development and humanitarian professionals work tirelessly to contribute to the improved well-being of boys and girls through multi-sectoral and community-based programmes across four states: South Darfur, Blue Nile, East Darfur and South Kordofan. Our headquarters are in Khartoum.
We remain committed to our vision of life in all its fullness for all children. By 2020, we hope to have positively affected 2.5 million boys and girls in Sudan.
What is the main purpose of World Vision?
World Vision is an international partnership of Christians whose mission is to follow our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in working with the poor and oppressed to promote human transformation, seek justice and bear witness to the good news of the Kingdom of God.
What countries does World Vision work in?
What countries does World Vision work in? World Vision works in some of the poorest countries in the world where the need for help is greatest. The World Vision Partnership works across Asia and the Pacific, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East, Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
ALL applications should be submitted to labour office HAC not later than JULY 14th 2021.
For jobs from World Vision in Sudan visit : World Vision Jobs Page