Auto Mechanic – US Embassy
|Hiring Agency:||American Embassy Khartoum|
|Position Title:||Auto Mechanic – All Interested Applicants (Automotive Technician)|
|Open Period:||04/07/2021 – 04/21/2021|
|Series/Grade:||LE – 1020 4|
1 Vacancy in
For More Info:
- HR Section
- [email protected]
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required:
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type Details:
Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (8 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
This is a non-supervisory position in the Garage Unit of the General Services Office. the position primary responsibilities include major and minor overhauls and repair work to all types of automotive engines, transmissions, brake systems, wheel assemblies and other vehicle components. Incumbent directly reports to the Auto Technician Supervisor.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years of experience in maintenance, repair and computerized diagnostics of automotive equipment including armored automotive equipment is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: A general knowledge of basic automotive mechanics dealing with all major components of vehicles. The care of hand tools, and various fabrication/welding equipment used in all phases of automotive repair and maintenance. Diagnosing all types of defects in all types of automotive, truck, and related equipment. Replacing, rebuilding and/or repairing defective parts on all types of automotive, truck, and related equipment.
Completion of Secondary education is required.
English: Level II (Limited, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested).
Arabic: Level IV (Fluency, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested).
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have excellent communications skills both in English and Arabic.
- Must be able to use various high-tech automotive diagnostic tools such as an air conditioning recycler, hydraulic jack, brake lathe, emission analyzer, various welding machines, and other related equipment in a skillful manner while diagnosing defects in automotive equipment.
- Must be able to read, understand, and apply information from automotive service manuals (including electronic service manuals), diagnostic aids, flow charts, charts, and graphs.
- Must be able to work cooperatively with customers, clients, and the public in face to face, one-to-one settings.
- Must be willing and able to move objects weighing more than 50 lbs distances 20 feet of less. Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- Must have a general drivers’ license applicable to Sudan. (This may be tested)
- Must have a basic knowledge of computers. (This may be tested)
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance .
To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit U.S. Embassy, Sudan. or ERA Application Video Guide.
Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- High School Diploma
- Proof of Citizenship
- Other Document (Experience certificate)
- Other Document 2 (Experience certificate)
- Passport copy
- Driver’s License
- Work Permit (If applicable)
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Sudan.