Engineer, NOB (Structural) – WFP
|Organization||United Nations World Food Programme|
|Job Title||Engineer, NOB (Structural) (140921)|
|Area of expertise||Administration|
|Type of contract||Long term opportunities|
|Location||Sudan – Khartoum|
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Would you like to join WFP Sudan’s experienced and talented team to plan and manage field operations to ensure the effective and efficient deployment of food assistance programmes and use of allocated resources in order to change and save the lives of the most vulnerable people in Sudan? If yes, this opportunity is for you.
At WFP, we are seeking to fill an Engineer (Structural) position for our office in Khartoum in Sudan to be hired on a Fixed-Term contract at the NOB level.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Sudan Country Office requires the engagement of an experienced Structural and Accounting Engineer, who will work with and report to the Head of Unit as part of the Engineering Unit. The main tasks required of the position will include management of a sub team of engineers, following site supervision activites, design, review and approval of variation orders, payments and construction contract management in a UN enviroment.
The Structural and Accounting Engineer shall be able to demonstrate in-depth technical knowledge and experience required to identify, analyse and resolve complex structural and construction issues, manage and direct projects and work streams, provide technical expertise, advice and solutions that support strategic results, and formulate new strategies and technical approaches where appropriate.
The Structural and Accounting Engineer should have experience in structural calculations and design, construction and supervision of infrastructure. The Engineer assigned to this position will require experience in construction contract management, including knowledge and experience of international construction contract law, and FIDIC or related construction contract formats.
To provide construction and engineering expertise and contribute to the efficient delivery and quality outputs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Provide technical advise and support in Sudan CO on the implementation of WFP policies, standards, norms and practices including construction activities and services to ensure that outputs meet the established quality standards and are compliant with wider WFP policies, procedures, guidelines and operations.
2. Provide supervision and assistance to the engineering team. Assist and help it in complex technical matters, manage the project and provide technical guidance and help to understand and solve issues that could arise in the different projects. Report project status to the head of engineering and help managing the different projects in the country.
3. Support teams managing contracts with contractors and designers when required. Assist with the interpretation of contract documents, explain and/or reconcile any ambiguities and discrepancies in the contract documents. Apply the various provisions of the contract documents. Assist the engineering team with invoices and payments.
4. Construction supervision services; apply best practices, standards and innovative technologies, incorporating country-specific technical requirements that comply with WFP standards and processes.
5. Provide project management services, apply best practices, standards and innovative technologies, incorporating country-specific technical requirements that compy with WFP standards and processes.
6. Provide technical guidance and analysis of structural engineering designs, working with design consultants and other relevant parties.
7. Manage and conduct analysis of project proposals to ensure business case and technical feasibility and that project objectives are attainable within prescribed resources.
8. Conduct site assessments of WFP facilities and develop remedial plans to ensure suitability to operational purposes, safety, and efficiency of structures and equipment in line with WFP policies, criteria and standards.
9. Conduct engineering site assessment of WFP facilities and develop remedial plans to ensure suitability to operational purposes, safety and efficiency of structures.
10. Establish and maintain partnerships with internal and external clients to effectively meet clients; expectations.
11. Provide technical guidance that support a successful construction procurement process.
12. Build the capacity of the engineering teams to facilitate the continued development and high performance.
13. Prepare, write and assemle project documentation for construction procurement actions, including drawings, technical specifications, briefs, scope of work, variatin orders, and contract addenda, for technical review and approval; this includes the preparation of supervision reports, to contribute to and or manage variation orders, payments, evaluations, and support corporate construction procedures.
14. Perform and monitor Project management processes through all phases of the project, and contract administration including managing risks, changes, variations, claims and other contractural procedure and issue using the FIDIC forms of contract and any other UN specific forms of contract.
15. Financial management, including budgeting, IPC and expenditure plan preparation, monitoring of projects financial status, keep records and ensure all procedures are in line with WFP policies and standards.
16. Review and comment on third party or other proposals, method statements and schedules, technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated design reports.
17. Assist in managing Quality Assurance and Quality Control procedures for construction projects.
18. Prepare accurate and timely reporting on outputs to faciliate informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: First University degree in Civil Engineering or related Engineering discipline. Hold or be eligible for Accreditation to “Professional Engineer” or “Chartered Engineer” status, or recognised equivalent by an appropriate national or international regulatory authority.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English and Arabic languages.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has worked effectively under supervision on a large number of varied design and construction projects and taken responsibility for work elements which have been assigned.
• Has attained advanced academic qualifications relevant to engineering.
• Has contributed to projects demonstrating knowledge of engineering specialisations in relation to fire safety, seismic blast or environmental requirements.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This position is open ONLY to Sudanese nationals. Applicants who are not Sudanese are not eligible to apply and will therefore not be considered for this position.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings. If you are an internal applicant, apply through your E-Recruitment profile.
- In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching your up-to-date CV or UN P11 form, answering the pre-screening questions and agreeing on the legal statement before submitting your application.
- Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
- This Vacancy Annoucement closes on 21 March 2021.
Qualified Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
WFP does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment process.