Head of Support Services – DRC
|Organization||Danish Refugee Council (DRC)|
|Contract type:||Expatriate or national contract|
Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Support Services (HOSS) for its operations in Sudan. DRC has been present in Sudan since 2004 working across 4 area offices covering both immediate humanitarian needs but also engages in longer term development activities. The Head of Support Services is operationally and strategically responsible for Finance, Human Resources, Logistics and Procurement (supply chain department), Administration and IT. S/He provides guidance and support for all operational aspects of partnership, and oversees, develops and provides strategic direction to his/her support areas.
About the job
You will be a member of the Senior Management Team, with overall responsibility of program support and timely completion of annual performance indicators under support functions. You will also play a significant part in qualifying and implementing initiatives coming from the global and regional DRC organisational development and financial accountability initiatives. Furthermore, you will ensure timely and appropriate communication with Area Managers, the Head of Programme and Project Managers concerning all issues related to finance, administration and human resources and work proactively to resolve differences and prioritize time-sensitive tasks.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Lead and manage the Support Managers (Finance Manager, HR/Admin Manager and Supply Chain Manager) and provide technical support to Base Managers (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Manage, deliver and report on current operations programme support in geographic scope, including for example, that budget review meetings are taking place, that SMT is presented regular financial reports etc.
- Establish high performing support teams ensuring high-quality approaches are maintained
- Develop and improve operational approaches, compliance and systems, and support the Country Director to build and deliver effective and sustainable interventions.
- Responsible for the strategic development, management and implementation of the support operations
- Ensure appropriate technical support is available to programs, in line with organizational priorities
- Ensure support for annual planning and review processes
- Direct responsibility for ensuring that the DRC Programme operates in accordance with DRC’s support function guidelines.
- Ensure that the Country Master Budget is updated on a monthly basis and is used to adequately prepare project proposals or cost cutting measures.
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team in liaising with donors and authorities, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration, and audit
- Oversee the operational support units for the Country by providing strategic leadership and technical support to the areas under his/her supervision
- Supervision, audits and controlling and implementation of corrective actions related to DRC’s operational standards within support area.
- Ensure that DRC retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide rapid emergency response in particular within its procurement and transport system
- Develop a risk management plan for the country that identifies the major financial and operational risks and implement a mitigation strategy
- Ensure that all administrative and legal-related systems are accurate and maintained
- Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the operation though frequent in-service training sessions and mentoring support
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DRC’s global development initiatives.
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure ERP functionality is properly used by relevant staff
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics to improve overall performance
- Act as heavy user for most of the Projects & Finance functionalities
The Head of Support Services is expected to have senior level management experience and a demonstrable successful track record of organizational development and resource mobilization, be able to conceptualize and articulate DRC’s vision, and have the strong oral and written communication skill required to translate vision into action. You will play a key role in developing and implementing country-specific strategies as well as improving operational systems, processes and policies in support of DRC’s mission. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Minimum 7 years of senior leadership experience in operations management roles with at least 3 years of experience in a similar role in an international NGO
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management, teambuilding and capacity development
- Proven operational management experience and capability, including in conflict areas
- Proven operational experience in one or more of the following thematic areas: financial, supply chain, human resources and information management.
- Significant experience in procurement and tender processes
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results
- Understanding and experience of institutional fundraising
- Understanding of the countries in which DRC operates and sensitive to the cultural context
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Experience with proposal development, budget development, and budget management
- Excellent computer literacy required
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Ability to work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid environment: Cultural sensitivity and respectful of local contexts
- Proven experience in providing technical guidance and training including development of training materials
- Experience working with an ERP system, including supply chain, finance and HR systems.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 24 months
Level: Senior Management, E
Designation of Duty Station: Khartoum, Sudan (with frequent travel to other locations), non-family duty station
Start date: 15 April
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Hawa Amin AbuSineina, [email protected].
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 25 March
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.