Support Services Senior Officer – UNOPS
|Organization||United Nations Office for Project Services|
|Job Title||Operations and Quality Assurance – Associate|
|Department/office||AFR, ETMCO, Sudan|
|Duty station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Contract type||Local ICA Specialist|
|Contract level||LICA Specialist-9|
|Application period||28-Jan-2021 to 20-Feb-2021|
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS Sudan Office under the overall umbrella of the Ethiopia Multi Country Office (EMCO), is operating in a very challenging environment where emergency, humanitarian, recovery and development interventions are existing throughout the country and where security situation change regularly. Also, where the need is great and UNOPS potential interventions is important.
The Support Services Senior Officer (SSO) works to ensure that effective, quality and timely operations & support services are provided for all UNOPS programmes, projects and units in Sudan.
The SSO is responsible and accountable for the effective coordination of the Sudan Office’s administration, support and operations services. This includes supporting management, and advising and coordinating relevant units on procedural, compliance, security and business continuity related matters. The incumbent will fulfil these duties and responsibilities under the supervision of the Head of Office and close collaboration with the EMCO Head of Support Services, Finance Officer, Sudan Head of Program (HoP) and other relevant structures in Sudan and Ethiopia Offices as well as at the Regional Office and Headquarters.
- Advisory and technical support
- Procurement support
- Financial management
- Human resources management
- Security Management
- Administrative and liaison support
- Information Technology Support
- Project Planning and Coordination Support
3.1 In support of senior management, he/she coordinates and advice to ensure operational effectiveness, focusing on achievement of the following tasks:
- Effective implementation of corporate directives, guidelines and strategies, and establishment of relevant management targets, as well as monitoring of achievements/results in the field of support services and operations management;
- Provides support to UNOPS programmes regarding their operational arrangements, including financial guarantees, and innovative approaches to finance private and public sector projects, as well as risk assessment and mitigation;
- Support the Management and the Locally Managed Direct Costs budgets expenditures for Sudan Office in conjunction with Finance;
- Maintains oversight over UNOPS’s financial position and financial projections, and escalates any exceptions and issues to senior management in a timely manner;
- Actively supports knowledge building and sharing to promote implementation of international best practices in management and operations;
- Coordinate and provide input on the creation and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and workflows to review and improve operational processes and procedures;
- Builds staff capacity in operations and produces lessons learned to rectify future operational issues.
3.2 Ensures effective and accurate financial resources management, and support the Finance Unit, focusing on achievement of the following tasks:
- Provide support in the management of the Finance Unit and ensures compliance to UNOPS Financial Rules & Regulations and finance procedures, liaises with EMCO Finance, IPAS Finance and Finance Practice Group as required to resolve issues and challenges;
- Closely monitors and ensures that Sudan Office Purchase Orders (POs) are duly reviewed/closed quarterly by all EMCO OneUNOPS users, as applicable;
- Monitors status of management and LMDC budgets as well as project budgets, and ensure that budget revisions are done on time and in line with UNOPS procedures;
- Ensures that all relevant internal and control mechanisms in projects are duly established and implemented;
- Oversees the proper recording of all project and office assets in the Sudan Office;
- Ensure coordination with EMCO Finance and ensure that Sudan finance unit, all support staff/buyers/logisticians and oneUNOPS users, adhere to year-end reporting requirements and deadlines set by the UNOPS HQ.
3.3 Ensures provision of efficient procurement, administration and logistics services, and Support the Procurement Unit, as well as work of the administration personnel, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide support in the management of procurement of the relevant office supplies in a quality and timely manner, as well as procurement activities to be undertaken in support of projects and programmes;
- Liaises with EMCO Procurement through HoSS, IPAS Procurement and Sustainable Procurement Practice Group as required to resolve issues and challenges;
- Support in reviewing the International Tender Bids (ITBs) and Request for Quotations (RFQs) before their finalization, and ITB/RFP bidding documents prior to launching tenders to ensure bidding documents are in compliance with UNOPS procurement procedures;
- Participate in bid opening events to ensure UNOPS procurement procedures are duly followed during events, monitors receipt of offers, late submissions, and submission of bank guarantees to the Finance Unit, for proper financial management;
- Reviews the Terms of Reference for vendors and consultants, ensure the evaluation and updates of the rosters for vendors and consultants based on performance;
- Review evaluation of proposals received, recommendations for contract awards, and participate in negotiations with successful bidders as and when required;
- Reviews and clears contract documents and agreements with partner institutions and UN agencies;
- Oversee the administration of contracts and agreements as well as processing of amendments, as required;
- Oversee and facilitate obtaining of visas, registration, travel permits and other relevant government documents for UNOPS staff and contractors through regular interaction with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and etc.;
- Ensure provision of relevant transport services required by the office and projects, including management oversight for the office vehicle pool in line with UNOPS rules and procedures, such as implementation of a system to ensure that use and conditions of vehicles are recorded as appropriate;
- Supervises office security/administration personnel, and provision of facilities management services including maintenance and cleaning of office premises and space, and coordinates purchase of utilities such as electricity, water, phone and internet lines, fuel for vehicles and generators and security guards management.
3.4 Ensures strategic human resources management, and support the HR team, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide support in the management of the HR Unit, and ensures compliance to procedures; liaises with EMCO HR, IPAS HR, and People and Change Practice Group as required to resolve issues and challenges;
- Follow up the overall HR and talent management of UNOPS Sudan office and projects, including but not limited to recruitment, orientation, training, performance management, and issue management of staff and consultants;
- Supports periodic market research on local salary scales, and other corporate reporting requirements;
- Provide support in the preparation of a learning plan for UNOPS personnel based on business needs and capacity issues;
- Contributes to staff capacity through training, coaching and mentoring on relevant HR and operations issues.
3.5 Support the Head of Office in his/her capacity as Security Focal point for UNOPS in Sudan for all security management related issues in Sudan
- Attend all UN security cell meetings on behalf of UNOPS and in coordination with UNDSS collect and disseminate the security advisories with all staff.
- Assist in coordination with UNDSS to conduct premises security assessments and ensure compliance with UNDSS guidance.
- Supports full implementation of the UN Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) for duty stations with UNOPS presence, as well as creation and implementation of a Business Continuity Plan (BCP).
- Acts as the Air Safety Focal Point (ASFP) on safety for UNOPS in Sudan
- Support ensuring all UNOPS Personnel in Sudan on official duty travel must comply with the UNSMS policies requiring Security Clearances for travel using the Travel Request Information Process (TRIP) and Security Training. Support head of office to ensure all appointed PMS are well inducted in UNDSS security protocols and procedures
3.6 On behalf of the Head of Office, collaborate and participate in all relevant working groups within UNCT regarding common services, and works to make sure that all operational procedures and practices are in line with UN/UNOPS rules:
- Responsible for ensuring the efficient and timely delivery of support services to UNOPS activities, including projects and programmes, including provision of common services through the UN Country Team and other partners;
- Participates in and contributes to the relevant UN Country Team activities, including but not limited to the Operations Management Team (OMT) and common operations/services meetings to enhance coordination and collaboration with other UN organizations;
- Organize and Coordinate the provision of support services to projects and programmes, including finance/admin, HR, procurement and logistics;
- Serves as an interface between projects and EMCO management on all administrative issues (including HR, admin, legal, security, finance and procurement);
- Ensures that UNOPS rules and procedures are dully applied in all support services and operations areas, supports the Head of Office and EMCO Head of Support Services with compliance issues, including following up on and implementing audit recommendations.
3.7 Work towards improving the quality of information and communication services, and support the ICT services, focusing on achievement of the following tasks:
- With the coordination to the Hub ICT unit the Support Service Officer monitors the ICT services provided and ensure compliance to procedures, in association with the Corporate Support Practice Group as needed;
- Ensure proper maintenance of server equipment, computers/laptops, and other ICT equipment owned by the office or projects;
- Makes sure that UNOPS units, personnel and projects are provided with the required ICT services and equipment to fulfil their duties and responsibilities in an effective manner;
- Perform other duties as required, including coordinating the review and upgrading of the UNOPS ICT infrastructure.
3.8 Assists with effective project implementation and delivery, focusing on achievement of the following tasks:
- Support the Head of Office and relevant units in the review of the operational aspects of proposed projects, including implementation plans, cost implications, and identifies milestones to ensure success;
- Support and Coordinate the Head of Office, Head of Program (HoP), Project Management Officer, and EMCO Head of Support Services, with determining support services required for
- providing support to projects and activities and setting goals, targets and performance standard for projects;
- Reviews, monitors and evaluates the existing arrangements to improve service quality and cost-efficiency;
- Assists the Head of Program (HoP), Project Management
- Officer, and the Project Managers in the preparation of project budgets and revisions, as well as operational work plans and provides advice on the direct costs that should be included in various project budgets to cover office costs;
- Analyses project budgets and revisions, advises programmes and projects with regards to the deployment of funds, and issues such as project inception and closure;
- Negotiate with service providers in the framework of relevant office and project activities and report to the Head of Office;
- Provides substantive inputs for the preparation/finalization of documents for project engagement and acceptance, including project documents, detailed project budgets, deliverable work plans (procurement and staffing), ToRs, MoUs or Letters of Agreement, Implementation Analysis Notes(IAN);Monitors donor fund contributions (committed and actual), receipt of funds, commitments and actual expenditures, update status, forecast and business acquisition;
- Aligns office procedures and systems to create a client-oriented culture in provision of operational support services.
Master’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Management or related field. Bachelor’s degree and additional 2 years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of a master’s degree.
Bachelor’s degree and minimum 4 years of relevant experience, or Master’s degree and minimum 2 years of relevant experience in the area of operations management or project support services is required.
Foundations in finance, procurement, logistics and human resources management are highly desirable.
Experience in UN rules and regulations, particularly relating to procurement, finance and security management, is a distinct advantage.
PRINCE2 Foundation Certification and/or similar project management certification may be considered an advantage.
Fluency in spoken and written English & Arabic is required.
Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self And Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: L-ICA
Contract level: L-ICA 9
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – Sudan
The UNOPS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners to support humanitarian response, recovery and development initiatives. UNOPS is the United Nations sector lead for the Basic Infrastructure Sector in Sudan and helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including water resource management, education, census and elections, human resource management and mine action.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.