Driver, GS-2, Nyala, Sudan – UNFPA
|Job Title||Driver, GS-2, Nyala, Sudan|
|Duty Stations||Nyala, Sudan|
The driver of the vehicle will provide reliable and safe driving services to UNFPA staff and mission ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, awareness of diplomatic protocols and prevailing security conditions.
You will report directly to the Administrative/Finance Associate.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
You will be responsible for driving UNFPA vehicles to transport staff and missions , as well as collection of official documents and goods when required.
You will need to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people from different backgrounds And nationalities.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
Ensure provision of reliable and safe driving services by:
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of UNFPA staff, experts on missions and other official visitors.
- Meeting officials and visitors at the airport and assist in customs formalities when required
- Ensuring that all passengers wear their seat belts at all times in the vehicle, and that all other security regulations as per MOSS policy are being followed;
- Keeps abreast of traffic, road and safety awareness to enable safe and on time arrival for meetings and events.
Safe and proper use of vehicle
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle, accurately maintaining daily vehicle logbook and timely suggesting about the maintenance / repair needs of vehicle.
- Ensures compliance of vehicle maintenance plans and assist in preparing vehicle history report.
Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes and water levels, car washing, etc so that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times.
Availability of documents/ supplies
- Ensures availability and access of all required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
- Ensures that the requires steps by UNFPA rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- Performs other tasks of a protocol or administrative support nature as required.
Qualifications and Experience
Secondary Education; a valid driving license issued by the competent Government authority, knowledge of local driving rules and the area
Knowledge and Experience:
Minimum of 2 years work experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record.
Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions and defensive driving skills.
Skills in minor vehicle repairs.
Fluency in Arabic and working knowledge of English.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues
- Focuses on result for the client;
- Professional appearance and punctuality;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views;
- Good people skills.
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary plus cost of living adjustment, housing allowance, home leave, health insurance and other benefits.
WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
Notice to applicants: In accordance with the rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, are required to renounce such status upon their appointment. Exceptions to this rule are very limited and can be made only for: (a) stateless persons; (b) newly appointed staff members who have applied for citizenship by naturalization, when such citizenship will be granted imminently; (c) acting staff members in the General Service and related categories with permanent residency status, on promotion to the Professional category; (d) staff members appointed under a temporary appointment. Please understand that UNFPA is not in a position to provide advice on or assistance in applying for any citizenship.