Civil Engineer Associate – UNOPS
|Organization||United Nations Office for Project Services|
|Job Title||Civil Engineer Associate|
|Department/office||AFR, ETMCO, Sudan|
|Duty station||Kassala, Sudan|
|Contract type||Local ICA Support|
|Duration||Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or to satisfactory performance|
|Application period||07-Jan-2021 to 30-Jan-2021|
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
The Associate Civil Engineer should perform the following duties and responsibilities ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity :
- Responsible for day to day coordination with the contractor according to the needs and requirements on site
- Inspects and reports on Contractor’s works in progress, ensuring that the Contractor meets the high quality standards expected by UNOPS.
- Develops inspection and test plans and updates them regularly with the contractor.
- Checks Contractor’s set out and works, including compliance with Contract Specifications and ensures that contractor comply with his work plans to complete work within specified timeframe.
- Provides support and guidance to the contractor and assists in resolving site problems, as necessary in the coordination with the designated Project Manager.
- Attends the project site daily in order to monitor progress of works, identifies the existing problems and provides appropriate technical solutions through application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the designated Project Manager.
- Prepares bid documentations and participates in the bids’ analysis and evaluation.
- Responsible for preparation of weekly progress reports on construction activities , according to the agreed timeframe.
- Maintains records; compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures
- Assesses the work activities of the contractor, measures completed work and makes recommendations to the designated Project Manager for progress payments to contractors.
- Evaluates and assesses works schedule, including the comparison with the schedule baseline and reports to the designated Project Manager accordingly.
- Checks all laboratory reports, operation and maintenance manuals, and keeps records and reports to the designated Project Manager accordingly.
- Coordinates contractor’s shop drawings’ approval process with the designated Project Manager during the implementation phase .
- Checks, verifies and approves the interim payments submitted by the Contractor/s and submits detailed reports to the designated Project manager.
- Checks, verifies and recommends approvals to the designated Project Manager on all variation orders/Claims submitted by the contactor during the implementation phase as per UNOPS procurement rules.
- Ensures UNOPS Health, Safety, Social and Environmental management systems are implemented on site.
- Assesses and reports on the project closing plans, archiving of cost and progress reports and hands over all related reports to the Project Manager.
- Maintains detailed documentation of all site engineering activities.
- Develops, updates and maintains the following project registers:
- Payment register
- Variation register
- Site safety inspection and Notice of Unsafe condition register
- Site diary
- Drawings register
- Instruction to contractor register
- Visitor register
- Sample approval register
- Tests register
- Progress photos
- Submittals register.
- Non Conference Report Register .
- Correspondence Register
- Attends weekly/Monthly contractor coordination meetings, prepares agenda and minutes
- Planning and documentation for future phases of the project as directed by the designated Project Manager including activities such as :
- Producing Bill of Quantities/Specs/ Drawings
- Performs other related duties as required by the designated Project Manager.
Core Values and Principles:
- Understand and respect UNOPS sustainability principles
- Look for ways to embed UNOPS sustainability principles in day to day project management
- Seek opportunities to champion gender equality at workplace
- Champion and communicate project’s sustainability aspects with key stakeholders
- Understand and Respect National ownership and capacity
- Understand the principles of the Paris Declaration on aid effectiveness and mainstream them into the project plans
- Seek opportunities to recruit qualified local staff
- Look for ways to build capacity of local counterparts
- Partnerships and Coordination
- Understand the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and UNOPS, the project’s place in the UN system
- Strive to build strong partnerships and effective coordination among relevant project actors (e.g. United Nations, governments, and non-governmental organizations or other relevant partners
- Accountability for results and the use of resources
- The project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results. If a project or processes is not in line with this, it is the responsibility of the PM to raise the issue to a supervisor
- Contribute to innovation and the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability and quality.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related field from an accredited university
- A relevant combination of academic credentials and/or industry certifications and qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the university education.
- 6 or 2 years (depending on academic credentials) of working experience of site engineering for medium to large scale construction projects
- Considerable experience in a similar position in infrastructure projects is required , preferably in East Sudan.
- Proficient computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet, AutoCAD and Scheduling program are required.
- Experience with an international organization and/or UN agencies is an asset.
- Health and safety certification from accredited institute is an asset.
- Excellent written and spoken English & Arabic
Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self And Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA
Contract level: LICA-6
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – Sudan
The UNOPS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners to support humanitarian response, recovery and development initiatives. UNOPS is the United Nations sector lead for the Basic Infrastructure Sector in Sudan and helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: water resource management, education, census and elections, human resource management and mine action.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
For Jobs From United Nations Office for Project Services Visit: UNOPS Jobs
To help you improve your career, we offer you free courses offered by International Organizations and Universities on our site: English Courses