Finance Specialist – DRC
|Organization||Danish Refugee Council (DRC)|
|Workplace:||Khartoum with frequent travel to the field.|
|Contract type:||Expatriate contract|
DRC (Danish Refugee Council), founded in Denmark in 1956, is Denmark’s largest and the world’s leading non-profit, independent, rights-based refugee organization.
Our vision is to assist refugees, internally displaced people and their host communities to a dignified life. We protect lives and human rights and empower beneficiaries throughout conflict displacement by providing shelter, food, and hope in terms of work, education and integration towards a sustainable future.
Overall purpose of the role:
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly driven Finance Specialist to Supports the preparation of Budget, donor reports, financial statements and maintenance of cash controls. This role will work under the supervision of Finance Manager based from Khartoum with 50% frequent travel to the field Offices to work with program Managers, Area Managers and Base Managers in streamlining financial related work. Works within the financial procedures of DRC, and in compliance with all national acts and legislation in Sudan.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been operational in Sudan since 2004. The programme focuses predominantly on the conflict-affected population living outside of camps in the rural areas. This role will suit a candidate with strong field experience in Finance looking for challenging skills and opportunity to influence, introduce tools to better manage Budget, quality cashbooks and timely reporting. You will be resilient, a self-starter, and confident in providing strong financial procedures including reviewing key documents and ensuring correct Budgets lines.
- Collect bi-weekly cash forecast/requirements from all field offices, Compile the different forecast, prepare the Country cash request and share with Finance Manager bi weekly for final review and submission.
- Follow up with the bank on receipt of international funds and local instalments.
- In cooperation with the Field Finance Officers, anticipate the cash need for each field office and prepare the bank and cash transfers in order to keep sufficient funds in each field offices. Inform the Finance Manager on the coming transfers.
- Ensure that the cash management policy is in place in each field office
- Follow up monthly on the financial overview and liquidity report and take necessary actions if the bank balances are not compliant with DRC internal policy.
- Analyse the variances between cash forecast VS spending and prepare explanation on the discrepancies to be forwarded to Finance Manager.
- Review the cashbook from the different field office after reception on 3rd of the following month.
- Review the quality of the cashbook in terms of accounting code, project code, budget line and to the highest quality of DRC accounting standard and share the report monthly with finance Officers, keeping Finance Manager and Base Managers copied.
- Train the finance officer monthly on the quality of the cashbook
- Follow up with field finance officer and ensure the cash advances are settled no later than one month including reporting any pending cash advance more than a month to Finance Manager, keeping head of Support copied.
- Reconcile various pending advance’s in the ledger and ensure proper and timely settlement and reports to be submitted to Finance Manager
- Conduct surprise cash count during every field visit
- Receive the monthly cash counts on the last working day of the month and send to Regional Office
- Collect the bank statement from the bank and forward it to the relevant field offices for bank reconciliation
- Review the bank and cash reconciliation of every field offices
- Review a sample of supporting documents for all field offices to ensure the adequacy with DRC accounting standard
- Ensure that all vouchers are printed on a monthly basis and attached to adequate documents
- Ensure that all vouchers linked with rebooking’s are printed and attached to adequate documents
- Ensure that all vouchers are scanned and uploaded online on a monthly basis.
- Ensure that statutory deductions are paid to relevant authorities monthly to avoid any penalties. (PAYE, Pension, and others as applicable) and report to Finance Manager after payments
- Review all Purchase Requisition of more than 5,000 USD or equivalent in local currency
- Review Budget Follow Up/Transaction details for all projects and in coordination with the relevant program managers, ensure postings are done correctly, over spending’s are rebooked on monthly basis. Budget monitoring Status report to be submitted to Finance Manager within seven working days from receipt of BFU/TDL
- Review project work plan against finance forecast in coordination with the program staff on quarterly basis.
- Assist the Finance Manager on financial reporting and budget proposal as per the request
- Monitor monthly all transactions on “Posting not related to budget”
- Ensure that the co-funding requirement for each project are identified before the start of the project and set up in the accounting system
- Follow-up on the expected instalments from donors on a monthly basis and ensured that they are recorded in GMS
- For every instalment received, collect the bank document and instalment receip
- Review the payroll after reception from HR Department (salaries and all statutory)
- Reconcile the payment of gross salaries and net salary in the cash book including all relevant statutory deduction
- In liaison with Logistics department, ensure that purchased assets are being handled according to DRC procedures and guidelines
- Produce the necessary documents for financial reports
- In case of depreciated assets, the asset & equipment register must be updated with depreciations cost according to DRC and/or donor requirement.
- Focal point for financial audit of DRC for Sudan
- Serve as technical resource person for the Accounting department.
- Produce monthly and quarterly reports as required by Finance Manager/management as and when required.
- Assist the Finance Manager in budget preparation at country level.
- Report to the Finance Manager any irregularities that occur within the DRC office, staff compound and sites on DRC finance policy related and procedures.
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director/Finance Manager/RO and HQ.
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least six (6) years’ work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an NGO or the commercial sector.
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas)
- DRC experience in finance system is preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills, self-motivated, proactive and able to accomplish set deadlines.
- Willing to meet deadlines with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of ERP system is an asset
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
For Jobs From Danish Refugee Council Visit: DRC Jobs
To help you improve your career, we offer you free courses offered by International Organizations and Universities on our site: English Courses