GIS specialist – CTG
|Organization||Committed To Good.|
|Position title||GIS specialist (local appointment)|
|Place of performance||El Fasher, Sudan|
|Duration||up to 4 months (@26days/month)|
|Qualification||Bachelor’s degree in geographical information systems or similar related field.|
|Sector experience||Minimum of 4 years of demonstrable relevant Geographic Information System (GIS) experience.|
|Geographical experience||Minimum of 2 year of experience in Africa (essential).|
|Language||Fluency in English and Arabic are essential.|
CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
As part of the UK Government support Sudan’s efforts to move, where possible, to longer-term and more sustainable development, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCDO) has supported our client to implement “Urban Water in Darfur” project. The project is aimed at increasing of the availability and reliability of water sources in the four state capital towns of Darfur in Sudan. The project output to date enabled access to clean drinking water for an estimated 400,000 people, in two states, and the project also supports improved water supply management in two further states. The project is jointly implemented by UNICEF and our client.
The UW4D project has four key components:
- Infrastructure maintenance, upgrading and expansion to provide access to water to 400,000 people in el Fasher and Zalingei.
- Master planning for four towns. Master plans will be prepared in 2021 for Geneina and Nyala.
- Capacity building of urban water authorities.
- Framework for managing urban water utilities in Sudan. This component represents a knowledge management, dissemination, and upscaling initiative, to share learning and commence interactions at Federal level to address systemic challenges facing utilities.
This ToR relates primarily to the second and third components (master planning and capacity building), with a linkage to the knowledge management component.
Objective of the assignment
The objective of assignment is to provide technical capacity to access, clean and document geospatial data, primarily for updating of the billing system and linkage of the system to geospatial data for four towns (el Fasher, Nyala, Geneina and Zalingei), as well as for field validation of data.
Scope of Work
The GIS expert will undertake the following actions:
- Capture data in approved software, from field information gathered and from available hard copy and electronic media, to produce geospatially referenced property boundaries, house numbering, infrastructure layouts for el Fasher, Zalingei, Nyala and Geneina. For each of these towns existing information is available in AutoCAD and other media, but are out-of-date and further, data does not always align between sources.
- Export data in appropriate forms for AutoCAD, Google Earth and other applications
- Prepare layouts and technical diagrams on water supply systems for the master plan report and knowledge management systems.
- Develop a GIS database, linked to geospatial co-ordinates, on all water users (households, kiosks and institutions) in each of four towns
- Link the database to Google earth overlays
- Link the database to the customer care database.
- On the job training to government staff on using various relevant applications.
- Training manual for use and maintenance of the geospatial systema and data
The GIS expert will work closely with the customer care database developer, the field survey team and with the master planning teams in four towns.
To the Senior Project engineer
• Degree in geographical information systems or similar related field
• Five years or more relevant professional experience in GIS systems and other relevant spatial information packages
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Strong team-work ability.
Language skills required:
English language writing and verbal skills adequate for technical communication and collaboration. Excellent Arabic language writing and verbal skills.
Other skills and attributes required:
• Training and teaching experience
• Knowledge and/or work experience of Darfur, Sudan is an asset.
This role has not team management responsibility
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
For jobs from Committed To Good visit : CTG Jobs Page