SECRETARIAL ASSISTANT – UNESCO
|Post Number :||5SDADM0704RP|
|Parent Sector :||Sector For Administration and Management (ADM)|
|Type of contract :||Fixed Term Field|
|Duration of contract :||2 years|
|Recruitment open to :||Internal and external candidates|
|Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) :||20-JUL-2021|
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only candidates who are entitled to work in Sudan can apply to this position.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority and direct supervision of the Head of Office and UNESCO Representative to Sudan, the incumbent is responsible for performing a full range of the following:
- Arranges appointments for the Head of Office, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls and responds to routine requests for information.
- Reviews, records, distributes and processes incoming mail pending actions.
- Responds or drafts responses to standard/ routine correspondence and other communications.
- Uses word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports, including formatting more complex letters, reports, technical documents, newsletters and other material.
- Proofreads documents and edits texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, as well as for adherence to established standards for format.
- Searches, assembles, compiles and organizes information and reference materials from various sources for reports.
- Provides secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings, committees, conferences etc.
- makes travel and hotel arrangements and prepares travel authorizations/ claims for the supervisor.
- Performs general administrative tasks.
- Maintains and updates the Office electronic and paper records/files.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Completed Secondary, technical and/ or vocational education
- A minimum of 3 (three) years of relevant professional work experience in administration, secretarial support and/or related field(s).
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Good communication skills including ability to draft correspondence and correct documents.
- Good organizational and coordination skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to operate fairly independently; to take initiative and work effectively in a team.
- Flexibility, adaptability and readiness to work under pressure.
- Client-oriented and problem solving attitude.
- Excellent knowledge of office applications (i:e MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English and/or Arabic and good knowledge of the other language.
- Experience in the field of secretariat and administration in an international environment.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of UNESCO rules and practices, procedures, protocols.
- Knowledge of another official language of the United Nations (Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization is a specialised agency of the United Nations aimed at promoting world peace and security through international cooperation in education, the sciences, and culture.
Founded: November 16, 1945, London, United Kingdom
Headquarters: Paris, France
How do you get a job at Unesco?
Applying for a job
For Professional posts, you normally have two months to apply once a job is advertised on-line. For General Service post, you normally have one month. Upon completing your application, you will receive a confirmation email.
For jobs from UNESCO visit : UNESCO Jobs Page