Monitoring and Evaluation Associate – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Title||Monitoring and Evaluation Associate|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Vacancy End Date||29/06/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Education & Work Experience||C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 6 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Vacancy Type||Service Contract (SC)|
|Contract Duration||1 year with possibility of extension|
UNHABITAT is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equallyencouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNHABITAT does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, includingsexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorousreference and background checks.
Sudan has a diversified economy in which a number of economic activities take on a prominent role. The exploitation of oil since 1999 has shifted the structure of the Sudanese economy from one predominantly reliant on agriculture for growth and exports to one reliant on the oil sector. After the separation of South Sudan, the country has incurred significant economic loss, namely high percentage of the oil revenue. Moreover, Sudan has experienced long-lasting conflicts in Darfur, Blue Nile, South Kordofan and West Kordofan resulting in large numbers of displaced people around major cities, towns, and villages, leading to unplanned, rapid urbanization in urban peripheries without adequate basic infrastructure and services. Sudan also experienced the costs of climate change in the form of natural disasters, including floods and droughts. Despite these negative situations, many positive changes have come to Sudan. The country requires collective, well-coordinated, and integrated action to address its manifold political, social, and environmental challenges and opportunities.
UN-Habitat Sudan Country Office has been actively engaging with key government counterparts, on both the federal and state levels, as well as key UN agencies, donor communities and international and national organizations in the country in compliance with the Sudan United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) 2018-2021 and engaging with various UN thematic Working Groups (UNWGs). UN-Habitat’s Sudan Office has been working on peace building and development assistance for the Government of Sudan under the coordination of Sudan United Nations Country Team (UNCT).
In this context, UN-Habitat in Sudan has developed in recent years a complex but consistent programme that addresses sustainable urbanization, public/basic services delivery, urban and regional planning, housing, land and properties rights and livelihoods, among other aspects, with activities ranging from policy and strategy making, to studies and assessments, training and capacity development, and implementation of physical interventions at the local level, using participatory approach and alternative construction technologies. Up to now the programme has been implemented in Khartoum State, Darfur, Blue Nile State and White Nile state and has the ambition to expand to Eastern Sudan, as well as starting national initiatives.
Under the overall Guidance and supervision of the National Programme Coordinator, the Monitoring and Evaluation Associate will monitor the progress of UN-Habitat Programme and Projects in Sudan and support evaluation of the projects by developing the M&E tools, tracking indicators, supporting the monitoring of all activities, develop and handle communication tools to disseminate progress and achievements.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected:
- Lead the programme monitoring and evaluation
- Coordinate the substantive monitoring and evaluation of activities, outputs and outcomes of programme and projects
- Support communication for reporting on progress and achievements of UN-Habitat Programme implementation
1- Lead the programme monitoring and evaluation
- Develop the M&E framework, detail out the indicators and develop the measuring techniques through support of Senior management team
- Undertake desk review and conduct study (wherever needed) to establish baseline
- Ensure sex disaggregated data collection and define gender sensitive indicator to monitor and report the progress
- Keep updating the substantive monitoring framework to measure various programmes and projects against baselines and targets
- Support Head of UN-Habitat Office in conducting data analysis and reporting of substantive progress to donors, ROAS and Government and UNDAF
- Support external evaluation teams for mid-term and final evaluation by providing necessary data and documents.
2- Coordinate the substantive monitoring and evaluation of activities, outputs and outcomes of programme and projects
- Review and assess the existing monitoring formats and make necessary revision for effective monitoring system
- Liaise with Field team leaders and coordinators on regular and ad-hoc reporting requirements and prepare regular monitoring reports as required and identify potential implementation risks in achieving the planned activities and outputs, and proactively proposing potential solutions.
- Develop tools such as online survey, social media counts, key interviews with stakeholders to monitor implementation of activities and their impact
- Undertake field visits and guide and support UN-Habitat staff and other stakeholders involved in projects implementation to define monitoring requirements for proper monitoring of different projects’ activities
- Properly filing and maintaining all M&E documents.
3- Support communication for reporting on progress and achievements of UN-Habitat Programme implementation
- Produce quality and appropriate information materials for outreach to different audiences (Newsletters, social media update, identify and write projects success stories and project factsheet)
- Support in the development and implementation of communication strategies at UN-Habitat overall programme in Sudan
- organize and conduct the communication component of project activities\events including taking photos and press-releases and communication campaigns to enhance awareness
- Edit and design all documents to be shared externally or published by UN-Habitat Sudan Programme.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN-Habitat
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UN-Habitat’s and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change
- Strong IT skills, knowledge of ATLAS system desirable
- Excellent knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting
- Excellent knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in development studies, social science, urban planning, information and communication, public administration , Communication, project management , monitoring & evaluation or equivalent is required.
- Bachelor’s degree would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years (with Secondary education), or 3 years (with a Bacelor degree) of progressively responsible experience in project and programme monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience and knowledge of UN project management systems is preferred and knowledge and experience of working with development partners, donor agencies or INGOs is desired
- Excellent documentation and report writing skills in English and Arabic languages.
- Fluency in the English and Arabic is required.
For jobs from United Nations Development Programme in Sudan visit : UNDP Jobs Page