Team Leader/Construction Engineer (Multiple duty stations) – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Title||Team Leader/Construction Engineer (Multiple duty stations)|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Vacancy End Date||29/06/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Ad Damazin, Sudan|
|Education & Work Experience||G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 4 year(s) experience, I-Master’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experience|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Vacancy Type||Service Contract (SC)|
|Contract Duration||1 year with possibility of extension|
UN-HABITAT is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equallyencouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UN-HABITAT does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, includingsexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorousreference and background checks.
UN-Habitat Sudan Country Office has been actively engaging with key government counterparts, on both the federal and state levels, as well as key UN agencies, donor communities and international and national organizations in the country in compliance with the Sudan United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) 2018-2021 and engaging with various UN thematic Working Groups (UNWGs). UN-Habitat’s Sudan Office has been working on peace building and development assistance for the Government of Sudan under the coordination of Sudan United Nations Country Team (UNCT).
In this context, UN-Habitat in Sudan has developed in recent years a complex but consistent programme that addresses sustainable urbanization, public/basic services delivery, urban and regional planning, housing, land and properties rights and livelihoods, among other aspects, with activities ranging from policy and strategy making, to studies and assessments, training and capacity development, and implementation of physical interventions at the local level, using participatory approach and alternative construction technologies. Up to now the programme is been implemented in Khartoum State, Darfur, Blue Nile State and White Nile state and has the ambition to expand to Eastern Sudan, as well as starting national initiatives.
Team Leader/Construction Engineer is responsible for the supervision and guidance of field staff in the duty station. and should ensure a client-oriented approach and consistency with UN-Habitat rules and regulations in conformity with the good management practice. He/she advises the field staff on quality control, cost effectiveness and responses to emerging technical and operational challenges in managing UN-Habitat projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Ensure effective Programme/projects management and implementation
- Ensure effective coordination with stakeholders and partners
- Ensure effective Monitoring and Reporting
- Effective Staff, administration and Operation management
1- Ensure effective Programme/projects management and implementation
- Ensure proper and efficient implementation of activities according to the Project work plan
- Provide direction and leadership in advocating project objectives and in ensuring that all interested parties are well informed about the project activities and goals
- Provide technical leadership in planning and implementation of the projects’ activities in collaboration with operational partners including state and local authorities, private sector and civil society initiatives, community leaders, CBOs,.
- Prepare and update annual and quarterly work plans, and submits these to the UN-Habitat Office in Khartoum for clearance and approval
- Ensure that the co-implementing partners and implementing agencies/ sub-contractors mobilize and deliver the outputs in accordance with the agreement or contracts, and provide regular progress reports
- Provide advice on community involvement and participation in the process of project activities implementation
- Liaise with the state Ministry of Planning and Physical Development, Ministry of Finance, locality concerned departments, State government line ministries, communities to promote sustainability
- Ensures that the “Stabilized Soil Block” building techniques are adequately understood and applied by all implementation partners
- In collaboration with the Trainers on Stabilized Soil Block (SSB), participate in the training of trainers and of community construction groups during the piloting and mainstreaming of the “SSB” building technologies
- Provide technical advice in the area of design, costing, drawings, Quantity surveying, Quality control, tender processing and contracting to the project and partners
- Carry out any other tasks related to Programme planning, implementation and monitoring.
2- Ensure effective coordination with stakeholders and partners
- Ensure effective communication and coordination between the Project office and the UN-Habitat Country office in Khartoum and sub-offices in the assigned duty station
- Establish effective coordination mechanism to ease collaboration and sharing of information among UN-Habitat team in Khartoum and with UN-Habitat partners in the assigned duty station
- Establish contacts in view of strengthening partnership with Partners
3- Ensure effective Monitoring and Reporting
- Oversee the progress against the workplan and establish progress and process monitoring mechanisms
- Monitor implementation progress; prepare regular report to Country Office (CO)
- Prepare donor report.
- Facilitate donor missions and external visitors to project sites
4- Effective Staff, administration and Operation management
- Oversees office administration, staff and operational matters
- Undertake outreach activities
- Represent UN-Habitat in all field level coordination matters
- Support, guide, back stopping the field teams
- Ensure safety and security of the field staff in close coordination with the UN security focal persons
- Performs other duties as required or assigned by Country Programme Manager and National Programme Coordinator
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN-Habitat
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UN-Habitat’s and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change
- Strong IT skills, knowledge of ATLAS system desirable
- Excellent knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting
- Excellent knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit
- Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with client and partners by gaining trust and respect.
- Has a good personality and reputation, dynamic, committed and dedicated to his/her work
- Relevant work experience with community-based development initiatives, security/stabilization
- Must have very good communication and leadership capacity;
- Understanding of the dynamics of the local culture of Blue Nile state.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic
- Must have good analysis and drafting capacity;
- Highly self-directed, motivated and must have team spirit;
- Flexibility and good organization skills;
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Construction Engineering or Urban Planning or project management.
- A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- 2 years with Master’s degree or 4 years with a Bachelor’s degree of relevant work experience in development, programme, management in low-cost construction and familiarity with alternative building materials and technologies, in particular the SSB.
- Experience in interacting with a range of partners including national, international and CBOs groups.
- Experience with a development project and knowledge of the project cycle
- Excellent documentation and report writing skills in English and Arabic languages.
- Experience in peacebuilding, conflict resolution and gender equality principles is an asset.
- Experience and knowledge of UN project management systems is preferred and knowledge and experience of working with development partners, donor agencies or INGOs is desired
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Arabic
For jobs from United Nations Development Programme in Sudan visit : UNDP Jobs Page