Mechanic A2 – British Embassy – Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office
Mechanic A2 (05/20 KRT)
|Job Category||Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)|
|Job Subcategory||Corporate Services Support|
|Application deadline||1 December 2020|
|Type of Position||Permanent|
|Working hours per week||42.5|
|Type of Post||British Embassy|
|Starting monthly salary ()||USD 1,291.79 plus USD 72 Transport Allowance|
|Start Date||3 January 2020|
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main Purpose of Job
To undertake maintenance, service and repair activities on Embassy vehicles to the highest standard and on time.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out effective level 1 and level 2 repairs on all vehicles to include engine, transmission, and vehicle electric.
- Inspect vehicle engine and mechanical/electrical components to diagnose issues accurately.
- Inspect vehicle computer and electronic systems to repair, maintain and upgrade.
- Conduct routine maintenance work (replacing fluids, lubricating parts etc.) aiming to vehicle functionality and longevity.
- Repair or replace broken or dysfunctional parts and fix issues.
- Carry out and control a rigid inspection and repair program on all embassy vehicles producing inspection reports and job cards, forecasting vehicle service and inspections using the current vehicle spreadsheet.
- Test drive vehicles after repairs are complete to ensure mechanical soundness and to determine whether any other problems exist.
- Control and demand all vehicles spare parts required to carry out repairs and preventative maintenance.
- Identify any tools required to carry out tasks including modifying existing tools.
- Report to the Transport Manager on a daily basis, providing technical advice and information on vehicles states.
- Account for all equipment within the workshop store including vehicle spares, tools and special tools and test equipment.
- Account for all POL (Petroleum, Oils and Lubes) within the vehicle store.
- File appropriate documentation on each repair and keep accurate record on any work and issues.
- Maintain equipment and tools in good condition.
Resources Managed (Staff and Expenditure)
- Assets: FCDO vehicles equipment.
- Spare Parts store.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- At least 5 years’ experience with all kind of soft skin vehicles that includes Japanese, Korean and UK made cars.
- Proven ability in vehicle electrical systems and fault diagnostics.
- Proven ability in pneumatic and hydraulic systems diagnostics and repair.
- Computer programme knowledge (word and excel) is a must.
- Must be proactive to ensure that the embassy vehicles operate in a safe, reliable manner.
- Excellent communication skills.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Experience with armoured vehicles
Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace.
The British Embassy is located in the heart of Khartoum and offers a modern and healthy work environment, with a competitive remuneration package, including on-site access to leisure facilities. The Embassy is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system, generous Health Insurance Scheme, good development opportunities, an excellent organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance. We treat people with respect and equality and have a zero tolerance policy for any form of discrimination, bullying or harassment.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Khartoum are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Sudan.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to; Obtain the relevant permit; Pay the fees for the permit; Make arrangements to relocate; Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates
- British Embassy will only contact successful candidates, if you do not hear from us please consider your application unsuccessful