Finance Officer – WFP
|United Nations World Food Programme
|Finance Officer, SSA 8- Khartoum CO (142153)
|Sudan – Khartoum
Finance Officer SSA8 – Khartoum
Would you like to join WFP Sudan’s Finance team and enable the delivery of professional, client-focused finance services and promote a culture of performance and accountability? Are you ready to partner with managers to deliver effective finance management accountability and control solutions that will change and save the lives of the most vulnerable people in Sudan? If yes, this opportunity is for you.
At WFP, we are looking for a talented Finance Officer to support our Finance Unit in Khartoum, Sudan, to be hired on a Special Service Agreement contract at level 8.
We are the largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Our mission is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every single day, we work worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. For more information visit: http://www1.wfp.org/
WFP’s greatest strength is its 14,000 dedicated people working tirelessly around the world to reduce hunger, often under difficult conditions where security threats and risks to personal safety are considerable. The global context in which WFP operates is rapidly changing which means the need for effective people management is becoming more important than ever before. In this context, WFP launched its People Strategy in November 2014. It articulates key strategic focus to build an engaged workforce, with the right skills, in the right roles enabling WFP to continue fulfilling its humanitarian response role while simultaneously building its capabilities to address the long-term goals of Zero Hunger.
How to apply?
To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings. If you are an internal applicant, apply through your E-Recruitment profile.
In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching your CV, answering the pre-screening questions and agreeing on the legal statement before submitting your application.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.
Talented women are encouraged to apply
We look for applicants with the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian values. We commit to promote diversity, gender parity and equality between men and women.
WFP strives to build a work environment that is safe and respectful, and free of sexual harassment and abuse of authority. We believe in open communication, and every individual at WFP is treated with respect regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religious and political beliefs, etc.
In this pursuit, WFP assists women to balance work exigencies with personal and family responsibilities by providing an attractive compensation package, including fully paid maternity leave for 16 weeks, breastfeeding time off, and the possibility to avail of flexible working arrangements. Also, we endeavour to provide our staff, women, and men, with training and professional career development opportunities.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of Finance Unit and direct supervision of the finance officer. The Finance officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities, but not limited to:
· Maintain awareness of corporate finance and resource management strategies and major ongoing programmatic initiatives, participating where appropriate using finance and resource management expertise.
· Contribute towards the development of country specific plans and processes, aligned with Regional and wider WFP strategy, policies and processes to meet the food assistance needs of beneficiaries within the Country.
· Report on key data for financial status and outcomes of projects in accordance with corporate governance requirements, ensuring accuracy, deadlines, and accounting processes are complied with.
· Monitor budgets and carry out forecasting for new and ongoing projects according to established corporate procedures and requirements.
· Perform bank reconciliations, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures on a regular basis in accordance with corporate requirements.
· Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, providing management with financial, staffing and resource usage information to enable them to make informed decisions.
· Track and collate data to support others to improve policies, systems and procedures in order to minimize financial risks, improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and ensure services are aligned with business objectives.
· Contribute to the delivery of financial controls and insight into WFP performance, supporting periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas which may present potential audit, compliance or financial risks.
· Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
Payroll and other staff entitlement
- · Coordinate and ensure Service Contracts & Special Subscribers Appointments (SC&SSA) payroll is submitted to finance in accordance to the approved salaries schedule.
- · Extract payroll reports then review overall accuracy of amount and totals to be paid.
- · Ensure that encountered issues related to monthly staff payroll are discussed/sorted out with HR unit on monthly basis and prior finalization of salary payments.
- · Prepare breakdown of salaries by chargeable budget codes, bank account and duty stations.
- · Park Journal Voucher in corporate ERP (SAP) by reflecting correct entries of salaries based on relevant supporting documents
- · Pass Journal Voucher with supporting documents to Finance Officer for timely posting.
- · Follow up on timely Payment processing for issuance of salaries transfer letter and timely signatures by bank signatories.
- · Ensure timely submission of salaries transfer letter to the bank and confirm remittance to staff accounts.
- · Advise staff by email for salaries transfer to their bank account or readiness of checks for new staff that do not operate bank account.
- · Ensure all payroll supporting documents are properly filed in archive unit.
- · Respond to all queries raised by staff in relation to payroll.
- · Maintain confidentiality of staff payroll and non-release of information unless authorized by management.
- · Prepare salaries for SSA non-payroll staff
- · Ensure that Social Insurance paid in timely manner.
- · Liaise with UNDP focal point for timely submission of fixed term staff’s payroll.
- · Submit the payroll for CO HR review and management approval.
- · Analyze the payroll to summarize total cost per entitlement.
- · Park JV in WINGS by reflecting correct entries of salaries based on relevant supporting documents
- · Pass JV with supporting documents to Finance Officer for timely posting.
- · Park JV for staff entitlement as uploaded by HQ and pass it with supporting documents to Finance Officer for posting.
- · Reconcile posted JVs with HQ upload and maintain UNDP vender reconciled and cleared.
- · Maintain and organize electronic and hard files for the payroll, reconciliation reports, HR certification and relevant communications.
- · Familiarize with Integrated Road Map (IRM) processes and take interest on changes that affect your roles.
Monthly Management Closure report related tasks
- · Prepare Minimum Monthly Closure (MMC) Report by collecting (Bank / Petty Cash Account, Inventory report, fixed assets report and project management reports) from various area offices & functional units on monthly basis.
- · Check the accuracy of the reports and the required supporting document.
- · Consolidate the Area Office reports to be sent to RBC on the required timeline.
- · Prepare the supporting summary sheets & get the management approval.
- · Following up the clearance of open items under the cash, accounts receivable, accounts payable and procurement sections of the MMC Report to meet the corporate standard of the Financial Dashboard.
- · Maintain and organize electronic and hard files for the MMC reports.
- · Perform any other duties as required.
Standard minimum qualifications:
- This vacancy is open to qualified Sudanese Nationals Only.
· Advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, or related fields, or First University degree in the same subject(s) with additional years of related work experience.
· Plus, membership in an international recognized professional accountancy body such as Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Certified Public Accounts (ICPA) or equivalent is desirable.
- One year of experience in finance for holders of advanced university degree.
- Two years of experience in finance for holders of first university degree.
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Tact, courtesy and good communication skills to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals with different national and cultural backgrounds in a team environment.
- Proactive working style and ability to learn quickly.
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify or escalate problems requiring attention.
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word and SAP.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Holding an English language proficiency certification is an asset.
4Ps CORE ORGANIZATIONAL CAPABILITIES:
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
- · Demonstrates advance knowledge of internal controls, risk management and monitoring mechanism and its applicability to WFP critical activities.
- · Applies knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices to ensure compliance with WFP policies, applicable procedures and accounting standards.
- · Posses proven conceptual analytical and evaluative skills and ability to conduct independent data analysis, identifying issues, formulating options and making conclusions and recommendations.
- · Analyzes budgets and forecasts to support the development of recommendations for senior leadership on financial and business planning matters in accordance with Value for Money principles
- · Solid computer skills including proficiency in Excel. Knowledge of other software applications (such as databases) and ERP would be desirable.
- · Able to establish priorities, plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan with minimum supervision.