National Gender Advisor base at Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning – UN WOMEN
|Organization||UN WOMEN – United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women|
|Title||National Gender Advisor base at Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning|
|Type of Contract||Service Contract|
|Application Deadline||20/05/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Khartoum- Ministry of Health, SUDAN|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Duration of Initial Contract||One Year|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Gender equality and women empowerment is the cornerstone of the Beijing Platform for Action, it has been enshrined in the international and regional instruments; in the Convention on the Elimination of all form of Discrimination against Women and in both Maputo Protocol and in the SDGs. Gender equality cuts across the political, social, economic, and cultural facets. In line with that, gender integration in the economy and in the economic policies is the key driver to the success of all efforts geared to the achievement of gender equality and women empowerment. It ensures equity and fair allocation of resources. It also guarantees that gender equality and women empowerment are central to the all processes of development and to the enhancement of production and productive capacity, and that, public spending and taxation; the most critical tools of the economic stabilization and growth are considering its differential impact on the well-being of women, men, boys and girls.
Sudan in its three years transitional period in line with the strong commitment of the transition Government to promote gender equality and women empowerment would need to ensure the state’s capacity and commitment to making budget more responsive to gender. This in return guarantees the integration of gender in macroeconomic policies and also ensures that the government budgeting is reflecting women and men socio-economic priorities. Such processes among other measures require specialized gender expert to facilitate the process of institutionalizing for gender responsive institutional reform at the ministry and to consider the importance of gender architecture in making the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning accountable to the achievement of gender equality, to gender-based capacity building and to the mobilization of international and national resources to better contributes to equality.
With the financial support of SIDA, UN Women is working with the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning to support gender mainstreaming in the economy.
The overall objective of the project is to engender the policies, processes and practices of the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning and to contribute to strengthening its capacity at federal and states level to deliver specific functions and responsibilities that accounts for gender equality and empowerment of women in the economic domain.
To support effective implementation of this project, UN Women in Sudan is recruiting a national Gender advisor who will be assigned to the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning and other relevant partners to support the integration of gender at the policy and at the institutional level
Reporting to the Minister/Undersecretary, the Gender advisor will work in close collaboration with other government institutions, the UN System, multi and bi-lateral donors to ensure successful UN Women programme implementation under this portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support the process of the institutional reform at the ministry level
- Set gender-sensitive core values and guiding principles to govern the work at the ministry;
- Support the process of establishing well defined and structured accountability framework with well-structured gender unit accountable to high administrative level;
- Provide support to the establishment of monitoring and evaluation administrations;
- Work in close collaboration with the promotion committee to ensure the equal representation of women and men and to guarantee the promotion of women to high senior decision-making level.
Provide technical support and capacity development to the ministry
- Advice the Ministry in all aspects related to the gender and economy at the ministry;
- Help the Ministry in considering the gender dimension when joining the international community for any economic event especially the UN’ events, the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund;
- Work in close collaboration with the gender unit at the ministry to ensure that gender equality and women empowerment are continuously been mainstreamed at the policy and programs level across all the administrations, the departments and the units that are constituting the structure of the ministry;
- Work with the Chamber of taxation in introducing gender dimension in the tax system.
Provide technical support to ensure that the budget is gender responsive
- Work in close collaboration with the legal administration at the ministry and Support the process of reforming the financial laws and ensure that the issuance of the new budget circular is incorporating clear gender vision;
- Support the process of changing the traditional item budgeting to program budgeting;
- Provide support to the ministries and sectors piloting the project in introducing new projects format in line with program budgeting;
- Work in close collaboration with the ministries and sectors to make sure that the policies and the programs are in line with the provisions set in the budget circular;
- Work in close collaboration with the financial units at the different ministries and sectors and make sure that the public financial management system is gender responsive;
- Work in close collaboration with the parliamentarians and support them in using the budget statement to advocate for fair allocation of resources.
Support monitoring and evaluation process
- Monitor the implementation of all the processes related gender budgeting
- Draft quarterly and annual reports to show the progress made regarding the tasks and the responsibilities articulated in the TOR
- Make sure that monitoring and evaluation frameworks and processes are gender responsive and are part of the projects that would be implemented by the ministry
Coordination and collaboration
- The advisor should coordinate with the all gender advisor seconded to ministries, units in other ministries, and with the Commission of Women and Gender Equity to make sure that the process of gender equality and women empowerment is in place at the high level
- Coordinate with the different sectors and ministries to be informed with any changes that need to be legally incorporated in the budget circular
- Coordinate with the different sectors, gender machinery and with the gender advisor of the prime minister on having yearly policy dialogue at the Ministry of Finance to guarantee the networking of the policies and the fair allocation of the resources
- Coordinate with the technical office of the World Bank on resource mobilization and on how to guarantee specific provisions on resources allocation to gender equality regarding the bilateral and the multilateral fund allocated to the country
- Cultural sensitivity and high ability to respect and manage diversity at work
- Ability to commit to the code of the conduct of the ministry
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good experience working in gender mainstreaming and gender and economy
- Good knowledge of local country context.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree in Economics combined with gender and development degree/ or course attendance certificate in gender and development/ gender and economy.
- At least 2 years of experience in working on gender and economy, mainstreaming gender at the policy level.