Gender & Safeguarding Coordinator – MCE
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps Europe Sudan invites interested and experienced applicants to apply for the following position:
|Organization||MERCY CORPS EUROPE (MCE)|
|Job Title:||Gender & Safeguarding Coordinator|
The Gender & Safeguarding Coordinator will ensure effective and efficient roll out of planned gender and safeguarding change activities through day to day coordination at the Sudan level. Under the overall guidance of the Gender Advisor, s/he will support the implementation of gender transformative approaches and Safeguarding best practices as captured in Mercy Corps’ Sudan Gender Strategy and Global Safeguarding policy.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Gender and Safeguarding Coordinator will be based in Khartoum and will be in close coordination with our sub offices in Nyala, Kadugli and Al Gedaref. The successful candidate’s time will be equally split between Gender duties (50%) and Safeguarding duties (50%).
S/he will support the implementation of cross sectoral gender integration strategy aimed at ensuring that the program activities result in equitable outcomes for male and female participants of different age groups, socio-economic background and abilities across target communities’.
S/he will work closely with sector teams to ensure the effective and timely execution of gender-related, women and girl focused activities: Support the M&EL team to include a gender and youth perspective in research, mid-term and enline evaluations and to mainstream sex and age disaggregated and gender sensitive indicators into the overall M&EL framework.
S/he will also work closely with HR and the leadership team to ensure women’s empowerment across our human resources and operations.
S/he will coordinate, support and advise on the implementation of Mercy Corps’ Safeguarding standards and initiatives and will also support the response function when potential allegations of safeguarding violations are reported. With oversight and direction from the Global Ethics Team, this position will support the planning,conducting and reporting of local Safeguarding investigations. With guidance from the Ethics Team, they will act as on-the-ground investigators–conducting interviews, examining evidence, and reviewing relevant documents.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
● Lead an internal Gender Diagnostic across Mercy Corps Sudan;
● Support the Gender Advisor with the planning, creation and implementation of an internal gender integration strategy.
● Support sectorally –focused gender mainstreaming training and refresher training for all team members, consortium and partner organisation staff.
● Assist with assessment activities to ensure that team members apply a gender analysis and youth perspective in the collection, analysis, use and reporting of data.
● Maintain close communication about gender activities with teams during regular planning and coordination sessions.
● Identify the need for and supervise the implementation of activities designed to promote greater access ,inclusion and empowerment for traditionally excluded groups (adult women ,young males, adolescent girls, the elderly and people living with disabilities) in the areas of economic development , health, WASH, governance and peace.
● Work closely with Community Accountability Referral Mechanisms (CARM) focal points across our sub offices to coordinate responses and ways of working.
● Work closely with sector teams and build their capacity to deliver high quality gender and youth integration work.
● Assist HR and program teams to identify and address barriers to recruiting and retaining female staff and to maintaining a gender –friendly work environment. Safeguarding Prevention and Response
● Champion safeguarding policies and accompanying policy guidance support materials and assist in
promoting prevention of sexual misconduct, sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA)
● Work with individuals and teams within the program teams to help ensure programs and operations are
integrating Safeguarding measures
● In partnership with the CARM team, identify, map and regularly update local support services available
to survivors and formalise a Mercy Corps investigation and follow-up system
● In partnership with the CARM team, act as a reporting avenue for Safeguarding related issues,
concerns or experiences and ensure next steps occur in accordance with organizational policies and
procedures and act as a resource to survivors and help ensure their safety, security and well-being and
support a survivor-centered approach
● Help to support partner capacity building around Safeguarding including, policy development, reporting
and response mechanisms and training
● Act as a resource to managers and staff to help ensure programs and operations are integrating
Safeguarding measures● Act as a resource to senior management as they work to fulfill their responsibilities and obligations
under Mercy Corps’ and donor’s Safeguarding policies and response mechanisms
● Help build trust and confidence in Mercy Corps’ programs’ reporting, investigation and follow up
systems and foster a climate where team members feel confident and comfortable coming forward with
● Help maintain organized, confidential and thorough investigation files
Proposal Development & Monitoring and Evaluation:
● Work closely with Project Team Leads and the MEL team to ensure Mercy Corps Sudan is consistently integrating gender and safeguarding standards in new and existing programs, and that gender sensitive data is regularly collected analysed and used to inform program decisions
● Act as a resource to the program MEL functions to help ensure inclusion of Safeguarding measures and outcomes.
External Representation and Coordination:
● Establish and maintain a productive working relationship with stakeholders and attend and collaborate with Gender and Safeguarding Working Groups across Sudan.
● Keep up to date with best practices in Gender and Safeguarding to improve Mercy Corps’ Sudan internal practices.
● Conduct himself or herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardise its humanitarian mission.
● Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
● Diploma/Bachelor’s degree in International development, Women’s studies, social sciences, gender or Comparable area of study.
● Master’s Degree highly preferred.
● At least 3 years of working experience in development, with focus on youth, gender and/or safeguarding work. Experience in the field is highly desirable.
● Background and experience conducting gender training, gender mainstreaming activities, as well as a solid understanding of safeguarding practices and implementation.
● Ability to communicate and mobilize a variety of stakeholders, including internal staff and external communities.
● Experience working in challenging environments.
● Proficiency with Microsoft office, Excel and PowerPoint.
● Team player with excellent inter- personal skills and willingness to improve and create new systems and processes across numerous teams.
Interested qualified candidates should submit their CV and cover letter to:
Email Subject Line should clearly state the title of the position as show below
Position Title (choose one of the above) – Khartoum
Deadline for this positions on date May 10, 2021