Operations Associate – UN WOMEN
|Organization||UN WOMEN – United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women|
|Type of Contract||Service Contract|
|Application Deadline||22/04/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Port Sudan-Red Sea state, SUDAN|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Duration of Initial Contract||One Year|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Sudan has entered an era of democratic transition after a 30-year undemocratic rule. The current process of the transition is challenging due to the dire socio-economic and political situations the country is passing through. The deteriorated economic situations have negatively reflected in a massive collapse of the local currency, deteriorated standard of living and lack of security. The process of the institutional reform, mainly reforming public sectors institutions to deliver timely and efficient public services has been slowed down by the political fragility, inadequate resources, and delay in the signing of the peace agreement. Women are still bearing the brunt of the economic deterioration. Women’ engagement in agriculture and in the informal sector affect their ability to afford basic family needs. Moreover, women access to microfinance institutions to enhance their economic opportunities is affected by cultural barriers and by lack of knowledge to access microfinance institutions. The historical social norms and stereotypes imposed on women have worsened the unequal power structure and often deter women’s ability to make decision and to negotiate their rights.
In line with the County priorities, UN Women works with different sectors to jointly promote women’s economic empowerment and bring the transitional government to account for gender at macro, meso and micro economic level in the process of the economic reform.
In this regard, and under the European Union Emergency Trust Fund for stability and addressing root causes of irregular migration and displaced persons in Africa (EUTF) to support the democratic transition in Sudan, UN Women in partnership with the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS are undertaking three- years project titled Women’s Empowerment for resilience, Inclusion, Sustainability and Environment in Eastern States. The project aims to create a conducive environment for the economic empowerment of women living in the most vulnerable situations in Khartoum, Kassala, Gedaref and Red Sea states. Specifically, the project objectives focus on improving access of young women and men, living in vulnerable situations, to a more inclusive market system, strengthen the capacity of institutions at Federal and State levels to enhance GEWE and reflect on the social norms and attitudes towards GEWE.
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Management Specialist, the Operations Associate for EU project carries out varied and inter-related operational, financial and logistical activities ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Operations Associate is results and client oriented producing administrative services of the highest quality in a timely and proactive fashion.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide administration and operations support to the Sudan Country Office (CO) in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations and policies and strategies
- Contribute to an annual workplan for the Operations Team and monitor the implementation and monitoring;
- Participate in review meetings and provide support to the assessment of the managerial and operational capacities of implementing partners in collaboration with the programme and technical team;
- Provide technical support and guidance to colleagues on operational issues;
- Ensure a continuous and up-to-date flow of information between the CO and the RO as needed.
- Coordinate the pre-audit preparations for the CO to be audit ready and complete the pre-audit checklist;
- Prepare for internal and external audits and coordinating implementation of audit action plan by drafting periodic status update reports and collating supporting documents.
Coordinate and administer procurement processes in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations and corporate policies and strategies
- Provide inputs to the preparation of procurement plans for the office and monitor their implementation;
- Generate procurement related reports; research and draft responses to enquiries;
- Review procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures for office and project equipment, supplies and services;
- Organize procurement activities and processes, including preparation and conduct of Request for Quotations, Invitations to Bid or Requests for Proposals, the opening and evaluation of tenders;
- Coordinate contract negotiations, prepare request for award of contract for the review and approval of relevant authorities, as required;
- Prepare Purchase Orders (PO) and contracts in and outside Atlas, create vendor profiles in Atlas;
- Review procurement processes conducted by projects; submissions to the Procurement Review Committee.
- Monitor and maintain office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery and keeping a log of distribution;
- Coordinate assets management in the office, prepare and submit periodic inventory reports, coordinate physical verification of inventory items.
Provide administrative support to the Project Humans Resources:
- Maintain staffing lists and reports;
- Assume overall responsibility for attendance and leave management monitoring.
Contribute to knowledge sharing
- Provide administrative support in the organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on administrative related matters;
- Compile lessons learnt and best practices in administration and Finance.
Key Performance Indicators:
- All services are provided in compliance with UN Women rules, regulations and policies
- Timely and accurate implementation of procurement processes
- Timely and accurate implementation of HR processes
- Provide timely and quality advice to clients;
- Timely and quality reports
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to administer and execute administrative and procurement processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Strong knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Strong IT and web based management skills;
- Ability to extract and interpret data;
- Ability to priorities work and to multi-task;
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Secondary Education.
- University Degree in Business, Administration and Finance, would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, procurement, human resources or logistic support services at the national or international level;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of another official UN language.