Procurement Assistant (Roster) – UNOPS
|Organization||United Nations Office for Project Services|
|Department/office||AFR, ETOH, Sudan|
|Duty station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Contract type||Local ICA Support|
|Application period||12-Nov-2020 to 12-Dec-2020|
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
Under the guidance and supervision of Procurement Officer , the Procurement Assistant provides administrative support in the management of a variety of processes/transactions in implementing procurement and contracting of commodities, materials, equipment and services for Sudan Office and Project Centres, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. He/she uses his/her own discretion to address unforeseen situations, seeking advice from and/or reporting to supervisor as applicable.
The Procurement Assistant liaises with Operations and Support Services Group and project managers in order to ensure best support. In performing his/her work, the Procurement Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Support to contract management and procurement processes
- Administrative and clerical support
- Support to sourcing strategy
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures implementation of procurement and operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Inputs to the office’s procurement business processes mapping and to the elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
2. Supports contract administration and procurement processes for Regional
Offices/Project Centres, UNOPS projects and at the request of other Agencies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Inputs to the preparation of procurement plans for the office
- Assist in preparation and the quarterly review of the corporate procurement plan.
- Support to the organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation
- Preparation of purchase orders and contracts in and outside our ERP- OueUNOPS, preparation of recurring purchase orders for contracting of services, vendor creation in OneUNOPS, maintenance of the filing system in the procurement Unit. . Buyers profile in OneUNOPS.
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on Purchase Orders with budget check errors and other problems.
- Provision of information for preparation of cost-recovery bills in OneUNOPS for the procurement services provided by UNOPS to other Agencies.
- Obligation of funds in OneUNOPS and obtaining of appropriate signatures for approval
- Maintenance of a vendor database system to record the listing, updating, evaluation and monitoring of performance of service providers and vendors;
- Maintenance of contracts, LPO digital and hard filing system
3. Provides efficient administrative and clerical support to procurement processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist in processing of invoices for goods and services delivered ensuring accuracy and completeness of documentation and timely payment. Follow up to completion and inform clients
- Monitoring of expenditures against allocations
- Preparation of reports, tables, charts etc. applying technical skills and knowledge in formatting and presentations
- Routine follow up action on procurement on behalf of the supervisor and inform supervisor of status.
- Collaboration with Projects Officers, vendors and UNOPS Offices to solve problems related to payments
- Oral/written responses to queries from internal and external clients regarding procurement matters
- Establishment and maintenance of working files, both digitalized copies in the ERP and hard copies, on procurement activity
- Preparation of letters, memoranda, faxes, email, etc.; monitor progress and liaise with vendors during the entire procurement cycle; investigation and resolution of post-order problems and preparation of progress reports on procurement matters
- Liaison with the logistics unit or projects on receipt of goods, equipment and services in view of obtaining proper delivery report, RIR, Certificate of Payment, or relevant certificates and that proper inventory is taken
- Ensuring that all supporting documents both digitized and original hard copies are available for audit and for review purpose;
4. Contributes to implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Carry out market research for potential suppliers of goods, services and works.
- Update of the rosters of suppliers
5. Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of database on procurement standards and tools, roster of best suppliers, contractors and service providers, activities and statistics and contract advertisement and awards to share and disseminate information.
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
|Secondary Education preferably with experience and training in accounting/business practices. First university degree desirable.|
|3 to 5 years of relevant experience in finance/administrative support services or procurement in international organization. |
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
|Fluency in written and oral English and the language of the duty station required. Knowledge of second UN working language desirable.|
|Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
Leading Self And Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
|Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries|
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
|Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: LICA 5
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link:
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – Sudan
The UNOPS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners to support humanitarian response, recovery and development initiatives. UNOPS is the United Nations sector lead for the Basic Infrastructure Sector in Sudan and helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: water resource management, education, census and elections, human resource management and mine action.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.