Operations Assistant – OHCHR
|Organization||Office High Comm for Human Rig|
|Title:||National Field Coordinator|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Duty Station:||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Vacancy End Date:||28/02/2021|
|Education & Work Experience:||C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 5 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experience|
|Vacancy Type:||FTA Local|
|Contract Duration||1Year with possibility for extension|
OHCHR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
OHCHR does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
On 25 September 2019, the Government of Sudan and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights signed the Host Country Agreement paving the way for the establishment of a fully mandated OHCHR office in Sudan, with sub-offices in Darfur, Southern Kordofan, Blue Nile and East Sudan. On 27 September 2019, the Human Rights Council adopted resolution 42/35, which welcomes the commitment of the Government to establish a fully mandated country office with field presences and requests the Secretary General to provide all the resources necessary to establish and operate such a country office.
Following the signature of the Host Country Agreement with the Government of Sudan, OHCHR is taking action to establish an office in Sudan by deploying a start-up team to Khartoum by end of November 2019. The OHCHR Sudan Country Office’s mandate has four priorities that are aligned the new Government’s priorities and the vision laid out in the Constitutional document: (1) social and economic rights; (2) legal and institutional reform and transitional justice; (3) civic and democratic space; and (4) monitoring and advocacy. These four areas of work build on the priorities defined in the Office’s management plan (United Nations Human Rights Management Plan 2018-2021). The strategy takes into account the UN’s “Visioning Exercise” for Sudan, which recognized the importance of supporting human rights reform and promoting economic development. It contributes to operationalize the UN’s decision to prioritize gender equality and women’s rights, as well as the participation of youth, in line with OHCHR’s spotlight populations.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Operations Analyst, The Operations Assistant is responsible for assisting the Operations Analyst in various operational matters, including Human Resources, Administration, Finance, and Procurement.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support the implementation of the operational services of OHCHR
- Support the administration and logistical services of OHCHR
- Support to procurement processes
- Support to Human Resources Management services
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Administration and implementation of operational support services
- In collaboration with the Operations Team, review the quality and timeliness of services provided by reference to corporate standards and by reference to standards/indicators established within the Office and Operations Unit.
- Support Office compliance of operations with UN/OHCHR rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets and monitoring of achievement of results.
2. Support administration and logistical services of OHCHR.
- Support Office compliance with OHCHR rules and regulations of financial processes, and implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Support Office Management in the budgetary planning and monitoring
- Ensure all financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified in compliance with IPSAS as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures.
- Review and verify accuracy and relevancy of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports.
- Ensure that all supporting documents on financial transactions are secured and properly filed.
3. Provide support to procurement processes
- Provision of inputs to preparation of procurement plans for the office.
- Support to organization of procurement processes including events, travel, and contracting.
- Provision of information for review of cost-recovery bills for the procurement services provided by UNDP and other agencies to OHCHR.
- Assist in preparation of inventory reports and conducting of Inventory and physical verification check-up in the CO and field offices.
4. Provide support to Human Resources Management services
- Support in time management/ attendance and leave management monitoring; Help ensure proper administration of staff.
- Support the Office Management in keeping proper files and records for office staff.
5. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Contribute to knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations within the Office.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices and sound contributions to relevant knowledge networks and communities of practices.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Any other tasks as assigned by direct supervisor.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work: Analyzes complex technical materials (including data) and makes concise, relevant recommendations
Ability to persuade others to follow: Proactively identifies new opportunities and challenges.
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Takes ownership of responsibilities.
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform: Understands, explains and shares information on assigned tasks with accuracy and clarity.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and professional manner
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education preferably with specialized certification in Administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Project Management, and any other related fields would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years’ experience (with Secondary education), or 2 years’ experience (with Bachelor degree) in Administration, Finance or Procurement. Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) essential.
- Experience of working with international donor agency is an asset.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset. Knowledge of UMOJA/ATLAS is highly desirable.
- Fluency in the English and Arabic is required.