ICT Associate – UNV
|Organization||United Nations Volunteers|
|Duty Station||Khartoum (SDN)|
|Duration||12 months with possibility of extension|
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
1. Support the implementation of ICT management systems and strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- ü Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment;
- ü Provide support to the use of Atlas (UNFPA’s implementation of Enterprise Resource Planning) functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
2. Ensuring effective functioning of the CO hardware and software packages, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- ü Performs specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs;
- ü Assists in the installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades;
- ü Assists in upgrading patch and anti-virus programmes on a timely basis;
- ü Monitors the file server traffic, usage and performance on a frequent and regular basis;
- ü Supports users in backing up and restoring their files, as well as in virus detection, removal and prevention;
3. Assists in ensuring ICT security in the office:
- ü Ensures that desktop, laptop and server passwords and related policies are in line with established corporate standards;
- ü Normal users do not have administrative rights to their PCs and portable computers;
- ü Unauthorized software is not loaded onto computers.
4. Support networks administration, focusing on the following:
- ü Trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems;
- ü Responds to user needs and questions regarding network access;
- ü Backup and restoration procedures for local drives;
- ü Maintain backup logs;
- ü Assist in maintaining off-site storage of backups.
5. Provide administrative support, focusing on the following:
- ü Maintains an up-to-date inventory of software and hardware;
- ü Maintains Country Office databases e.g. e-filing, electronic library directory, consultancy database, and database for common vendors; orient and coach staff on these databases/systems;
- ü Maintains a library of ICT related reference materials;
- ü Maintains the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts;
- ü Extracts data from various sources;
- ü Prepares statistical charts, tables and reports as required;
- ü Provides ICT support to key events.
- Any other related duties
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- · Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- · Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- · Provide annual and end of assignment self-reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- · Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- · Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Bachelor’s degree in computer science
Relevant certifications in hardware and software management and application required, including Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
Good knowledge of PC/LAN operating systems, Microsoft Windows, corporate ICT security and viral protection systems, ERP.
Required experience: 36 Months
3 to 4 years of relevant professional work experience , including network administration, support to management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Telecommunications systems, Hardware and systems maintenance, operation and administration, Software and applications development and analysis.
Area of expertise details:
Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported;
Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems;
Some experience in client support, such as, a Help Desk or User Support Unit;
Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new systems.
Driving license: No
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Sudan and legal residents in Sudan with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 25-01-2021
For Jobs From United Nations Volunteers Visit: UNV Jobs
To help you improve your career, we offer you free courses offered by International Organizations and Universities on our site: English Courses