Driver – UNDP
|United Nations Development Programme
|Dept of Safety and Security
|Practice Area – Job Family
|Vacancy End Date
|04/01/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)
|Education & Work Experience
|C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 2 year(s) experience
|Required: Arabic, English
|Service Contract (SC)
|1 Year with possibility for extension
UNDSS is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDSS does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Overall mandate of the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS Sudan) is to provide leadership, operational support and oversight of the security management system to enable the safest and most efficient conduct of the programs and activities of the United Nations System. UNDSS Sudan is supporting the UN Agencies and Non-Governmental organizations so as to enable them to conduct their operations in the safest way possible.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Security Adviser and Deputy Security Adviser, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work. The Driver demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The Driver provides driving services to the operations and programme staff in the CO, Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors:
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair (for Drivers)
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol (for Drivers)
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues (for Drivers)
Managing documents, correspondence and reports:
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard.
Planning, organizing and multi-tasking:
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license
- 2 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
Fluency in the English and Arabic is required.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
For Jobs From United Nations Development Programme Visit: UNDP Jobs
To help you improve your career, we offer you free courses offered by International Organizations and Universities on our site: English Courses