Public Health Associate (Ed Daein) – UNHCR
|Organization||United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees|
|Job Title||Public Health Associate|
|Location||Ed Daein, Sudan|
|Family Location Type||Non-Family|
This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
Duties and Qualifications
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Public Health Associate supports UNHCR effort to minimise avoidable mortality and morbidity among population of concern (PoC). The incumbent establishes appropriate consultative and monitoring framework and provides technical guidance to Partners and coordinates health activities within the Area of Responsibility (AoR). The incumbent usually reports to a more senior Public Health colleague. S/he will be a member of the public health team and will also be the focal point for the health information system (HIS) within the AoR. The Public Health Associate will follow up with health agencies to ensure timely submission of weekly or monthly HIS reports, assess the quality of the reports as well as provide on-site supervision of the health information system. This will include training of providers both formal and on the job, assessment of the quality of camp clinic registers and other components of camp HIS. The Public Health Associate will also liaise with WHO and the Ministry of Heath on the health information system.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist the supervisor in implementing UNHCR Public Health programme based on updated needs assessments and through Partners.
- Regularly monitor the performance of Partner(s) providing quality health services within the AoR in accordance with (inter)national guidelines and protocols.
- Regularly monitor the quality and effectiveness of health services within the AoR, report findings and address issues to the supervisor for follow up.
- Assist in proper coordination with officials of relevant institutions involved in planning and implementation of assistance to PoC.
- Conduct frequent analysis of cases submitted for public health activities and provide statistics when requested.
- Conduct frequent follow up on the monitoring and evaluation sheets provided by Partners, conduct needed analysis and provide data when requested.
- Assist in effective communication with other units within UNHCR and Partners, including orientation on health projects/activities.
- Conduct regular monitoring for any changes in the policy of the Ministry of Health on health services provision to PoC within the AoR.
- Provide project control with the estimated budget of any health project within the AoR on a regular basis.
- Conduct regular refresher training for all relevant staff and Partners.
- Ensure effective tracking of the inpatients from partner clinics to the out contracted hospitals.
- Assist in effective communication with Health Unit, implementing partners and out contracted hospital¿s focal person and selected PH facilities.
- Provide support to Partner(s) to ensure correct use of the Health Information System (HIS) and address problems with HIS data collection and submission in a timely manner.
- Attend and follow up activities of the health committee where decisions on tertiary care treatment are taken.
- Prepare and provide collated health data for submission in donor reports and health unit fact sheets as well as other documents.
- Assist in telephone counselling and face to face counselling of PoC if required.
- Review medical bills against standard payment lists.
- Take action and initiate measures to mitigate risks to the Organization from inappropriate charges relating to medical bills.
- Take action to ensure quality health information system reports that contribute to the quality of primary, secondary and tertiary health care services for refugees.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher.
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
*Health related clinical qualification;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential).
Relevant Job Experience
Health data collection e.g. patient information management systems, heath information systems and related technology.
- *IT-Computer Literacy;
- PR-Refugee protection Principles and Framework;
- MD-Assessment of quality standards of health facilities;
- MD-Community Health – Health Data Collection/Analysis/Interpretation;
- MD-Health Information Systems (HIS);
- MD-UN-wide health care policies and protocols (e.g. medical evacuation procedures, etc.);
- CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community;
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
For Jobs From UNHCR Visit: UNHCR Jobs
To help you improve your career, we offer you free courses offered by International Organizations and Universities on our site: English Courses