Health System Research Consultant – RI
About Relief International(RI):
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way — emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them. Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement we operate as a single, shared management structure.
|Job Title||Health System Research Consultant|
|Reports to||Eatizaz Yousif, Deputy Country Director Programs|
|Type of contract||Up to 4 weeks|
Position Summary and Background:
The Health System Research Consultant will conduct comprehensive qualitative (and possibly quantitative) research on Sudan’s health system. In consultation with Relief International’s Sudan team, the consultant will 1) finalise a systems and stakeholder mapping exercise that has already been partially completed through a desk review and initial stakeholder mapping; 2) develop a research plan, including design of data collection tools, identification of key informants, other respondents etc.; 3) collect and analyze the data (primarily qualitative); and 4) produce a report of the findings.
This research will fill a critical gap that currently exists in up-to-date analysis on the health system after the political transition in Sudan in 2019. The new political context presents a significant opportunity for Sudan to move from relief to development and the findings of this research will be used to inform future medium-to long-term health systems strengthening opportunities. The overall goal of this research is to provide a clear understanding of Sudan’s health system at national, state and local level including but not limited to the following areas:
- Key deficiencies in supply and demand of health infrastructure, health information system and technologies, human resources for health, service delivery and pharmaceuticals and medical equipment; including dynamics between stakeholders within the health system;
- Identification of current policies that address deficiencies and can be used to support advocacy
- Financing mechanisms of the health sector at all levels (exploring integrated modalities (through sector reform; Community Based Health Insurance schemes –CBHI) including opportunities for public/private partnerships and the role of the privatized health services and how they may be leveraged to increase national health coverage in coordination with the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF);
Tasks and Deliverables:
The Consultant will:
- Review and consider the findings of secondary research conducted by RI in advance;
- Finalise systems mapping of the health system at federal, state and locality level engaging RI’s Sudan team and using RI’s Systems Approach in Fragile Settings Tool
- Develop a research plan including design of data collection tools, identification of key informants, other respondents etc. – to be reviewed and approved by RI prior to data collection
- Collect and analyze data: primarily key informant interviews (KIIs) and focus group discussions (FGDs); the use of quantitative methods will be determined in consultation with RI;
- Produce and deliver a report summarizing the findings by 31 December 2020
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Advanced university degree (Public Health or related field)
- Demonstrated experience conducting robust assessments and systems mapping exercises; including designing assessment plan, developing data collection tools; collecting and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data; producing a summary report
- Minimum of 6 years’ of relevant practical experience in research;
- Track record in engaging with a wide range of stakeholders including community members, government representatives, local organizations, private sector, UN agencies and INGOs
- Excellent analytical skills, detail oriented, and organized with the ability to think critically
- Fluency in English and strong writing and presentation skills in English
- Excellent time management skills; and ability to meet deadlines
- Cultural awareness and ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds/culture.
Relief International’s Values:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are required to submit all the documents listed under ‘’Application’’. We thank everyone who has expressed interest in this role, but we will only be able to contact selected candidates.
Due to the critical and urgent nature of this assignment, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, selected candidates interviewed, and the final candidate/s may be selected prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this vacancy is posted.