MEAL Officer – Accountability – DRC
|Organization||Danish Refugee Council (DRC)|
|Contract type:||National contract|
DRC (Danish Refugee Council), founded in Denmark in 1956, is Denmark’s largest and the world’s leading non-profit, independent, rights-based refugee organization.
Our vision is to assist refugees, internally displaced people and their host communities to a dignified life. We protect lives and human rights and empower beneficiaries throughout conflict displacement by providing shelter, food, and hope in terms of work, education and integration towards a sustainable future.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
The MEAL Officer – Accountability will work closely with the MEAL Manager and other MEAL team members and contribute the development of a robust system to promote Accountability to Affected Populations in Sudan, while supporting the day-to-day monitoring & evaluation components of their main base. Day-to-day MEAL activities will include training enumerators and overseeing post distribution monitoring, hosting quarterly learning processes with office staff,
and reporting the results MEAL activities to the MEAL manager and program team. In addition, the MEAL Officer – Accountability will travel to other bases in order to assess DRC’s progress on its commitments to Core Humanitarian Standards. These activities will include rolling out and assessing the feedback and complaints response mechanism (F-CRM), conducting focus groups with affected populations, documenting inputs from other MEAL staff to create guidance promoting more accountable and participating programmes, and managing the Central Darfur FCRM Database.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Support the development of M&E tools and questionnaires with supervision from the MEAL Manager;
- Measure and report on indicators in compliance with DRC grant agreements and based on Project MEAL plans;
- Implement and update the MEAL plan on a monthly basis, including the collection, entry and basic analysis of programme data;
- Review the Means of Verification for each project activity, providing regular reports to the MEAL Manager and guidance to programme staff;
- Provide weekly and monthly reports to the MEAL manager on the implementation of MEAL plans and exercises;
- Train enumerators in data collection and supervise the enumerators during monitoring and evaluation exercises;
- Work closely with programme teams, following their work plans and updating the MEAL plan accordingly;
- Conduct assessments, research and other M&E activities under the supervision of the MEAL Manager.
- Support the development and rollout of DRC’s F-CRM system in Central Darfur;
- Provide training at all bases on DRC’s accountability systems, F-CRM protocols, and commitments to CHS Standards;
- Manage the F-CRM Database, which contains all feedback received from beneficiaries and local communities and DRC responses;
- Collect weekly accountability reports from other MEAL Staff and analyze trends and follow-up to ensure a quick response from DRC;
- Ensure that DRC accountability helpdesks are set up at all distributions to receive feedback regarding DRC programming and general challenges and needs;
- Ensure programme activities are compliant with DRC accountability framework and principles through regular refresher trainings to programme staff;
- Observe programme activities to ensure all beneficiaries are treated with respect, confidentiality and are provided with informed consent.
- Conduct a quarterly lessons learned activity with programme and support teams on activity implementation and DRC processes;
- Draft a quarterly report on lessons learned report based on the programme review activity;
- Promote a culture of shared learning and staff openness and transparency about using past mistakes to improve future programming;
- Analyze F-CRM reports to create lessons learned on how to improve DRC’s accountability to affected populations.
Experience and Technical Competencies:
- Minimum 2 year of experience.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent inter-personal communication and listening skills.
- Ability to analyze and summarize data.
- Ability to train and manage a small team of data collectors, and pull together information from multiple people.
- Demonstrated empathy and sensitivity to the specific needs of vulnerable people.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to work individually and within a team
- Willingness to learn new skills and build their own capacity.
- Excellent skills in MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Experience with phone or tablet-based data collection tools is a plus.
- Bachelor Degree in social sciences, humanitarian and/or development studies, or relevant field
- Strong verbal and written English.
- Native Arabic language skills
This position is for Sudanese National only, And the position will be based in Zalingi.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit: