Programme Officer (Elections) -IDEA
International IDEA is managing a three-year EU funded programme to support Sudan’s transition to a democratic system of government, and to contribute to SDG 16 to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
The programme seeks to support the democratic transition by supporting the establishment of mechanisms for dialogue and consensus building on the transition process; strengthen stakeholders’ capacity for constitution building; enhance stakeholders’ capacity for electoral reform that will facilitate credible electoral processes; and strengthen citizens awareness on the transitional process and broader democratic governance practices. It is anticipated that Sudan’s transition period and processes will provide an opportunity for Sudan’s transition to democracy.
The Programme Officer will contribute to the design and implementation of the Sudan programme, analyses political developments in Sudan, support the newly established Electoral Management Body (EMB) of Sudan and will contribute to monitoring, reporting and evaluation of the programme, as well as the communications and visibility plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the design and implementation of electoral processes activities for the Sudan Programme;
- Provides technical and advisory support to the EMB in the organization and conduct of national and municipal elections in Sudan;
- Plans and supports the facilitation of capacity development activities on electoral planning, EMB management & design, electoral operations and political finance for the EMB staff;
- Introduces and supports the implementation of the Electoral Risk Management Tool (ERMT) to the newly established EMB;
- Supports the facilitation of workshops and consultative meetings for target audiences;
- Develops knowledge products relating to electoral processes, and supports the contextualizing and updating of existing International IDEA publications;
- Identifies new areas of engagement and programming in electoral processes in Sudan through engaged discussions with the EMB and national partners;
- Assesses and analyzes political developments in Sudan and makes recommendations for the update and revision of the programme activities and initiatives;
- Provides inputs towards planning and budgeting within a Results Based Management framework;
- Develops and reviews background documents, briefs and presentations related to the elections;
- Ensures electoral processes activities are implemented in accordance with the workplan; Proposes modifications to the workplan as necessary throughout programme implementation;
- Contributes to monitoring, reporting, and evaluation of the programme ensuring timely communication to the EU and to International IDEA Headquarters;
- Contributes to the implementation of the communications and visibility plan; Ensures recognition for the programme goals, key messages and the financial support provided by the EU is covered at workshops, and in official publications and media outreach; Contributes to outcome harvesting and storytelling to communicate the achievements and impact of the programme, including lessons learned.
- Requires in-depth knowledge, excellent skills and relevant experience in their field; Knowledge of Electoral Processes across the Africa and West Asia region in particular, with demonstrated experience in Sudan;
- Will contribute significantly to assigned projects all along the project life cycle, i.e. from project design and funding to project assessment; will lead meetings and discussions, supervise publications and review input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on the relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’ s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities;
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management in past experiences;
- Maintains linkages with International IDEA Member States.
- Head of Programme
Education and Experience
- University degree in political sciences, law, public policy/administration, international relations or similar;
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in the field of electoral processes;
- Knowledge of the field of development co-operation more broadly; and more specifically democracy and election assistance;
- Experience with EMB’s or an organization dealing with national elections is an asset;
- BRIDGE certification and knowledge of Arc GIS is desirable;
- Fluency in written and oral Arabic and English is required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Spanish, French) is desirable.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post.
- Fixed term appointment until 31st December 2022.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Sudan.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) 27th September 2021. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.