Executive Associate to Resident Representative (RR) – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Title||Executive Associate to Resident Representative (RR)|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Vacancy End Date||22/07/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Education & Work Experience||G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 4 year(s) experience, H-Some Graduate School – 7 year(s) experience|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Vacancy Type||FTA Local|
|Contract Duration||One Year with possibility for extension|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UNDP Resident Representative (RR), the Executive Associate ensures effective and efficient functioning of the RR’s office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
The incumbent works in close collaboration with UNDP staff, UN Agencies, partners and national authorities to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, and maintenance of the RR’s calendar and agendas.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions :
- Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the RR office.
- Ensures provision of effective communications support to the office.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management.
- Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the RR office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the supervisor’s calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Maintenance of protocol procedures.
- Preparation of high-quality briefing materials for supervisor for appointments, meetings, missions.
- Preparation of informal translations.
- Management of RR missions and representation schedule.
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists.
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of RR for his/her signature and making follow-up when required.
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the RR office.
2. Ensures provision of effective communications support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system.
- Coordination of the information flow in the office, follow up on circulation files.
- Facilitation of information sharing between UNCT and the UN Coordination Unit.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to RR.
- Screening of all incoming calls and correspondence.
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office and streamline office procedures between the supervisor’s office and subordinate division.
3. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination, administration and protocol issues.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the RR’s office. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the RR’s office and promotes the image of UN/UNDP as an effective contributor to the development of the country. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors:
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Research best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position.
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
- Prepares timely inputs to reports.
- Maintains databases.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education with specialized secretarial training. University Degree or equivalent would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
7 years with Secondary Education or 4 years with a bachelor’s degree of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in both written and spoken English and Arabic.
UNDP in Sudan
In Sudan, UNDP supports a broad range of development interventions. At present, this focuses on support for Sudan’s transition, coupled with efforts on peacebuilding and stabilization, climate-resilience and access to energy, and broader health and economic improvement. Learn more about our impact in 2019.
What we do
With dedicated support from donor nations, the international community, and national and international partners, UNDP works in Sudan to deliver on our promise to empower resilient nations.
Serving as the main development integrator in Sudan, UNDP supports SDG-focused strategic capacity development initiatives nationwide, focusing on: inclusive socioeconomic transformation and revival; restoring governance through inclusive and accountable institutions; sustaining and consolidating local peacebuilding; and investing in a new Green Deal through renewable energy and climate resilience efforts.
Through our active partnerships with national and international entities, UNDP strives to eliminate poverty, enable recovery, ensure effective management of natural resources, and advance peace and social cohesion.
Achieving this will require investment in stabilization and resilience strengthening at all levels of society, in tandem with humanitarian assistance – while overcoming and building forward better post-COVID-19.
For jobs from United Nations Development Programme in Sudan visit : UNDP Jobs Page