Senior HR Associate – UNICEF
Senior HR Associate, GS7, Temporary Appointment, (364 days), Khartoum Sudan, Req. # 540796, Post # 00116130
|Contract type:||Temporary Appointment|
|Categories:||Human Resources, G-7|
|Advertised:||30/05/2021 E.Africa Standard Time|
|Deadline:||06/06/2021 E.Africa Standard Time|
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
Sudan, surrounded by the Central African Republic, Chad, Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Libya and South Sudan, positioned next to East, West, South and North Africa, is surrounded by complex conflicts in an unpredictable, volatile and rapidly evolving region. Sudan is by size the third biggest country in Africa, with a diverse population of around 42 million people. Sudan’s children make up half of the total population, and the past two decades have seen their lives significantly improve: fewer girls and boys are dying before their fifth birthday, primary school attendance is increasing, immunization coverage is high and the country remains polio free. Still, millions of children continue to suffer from protracted conflict in Darfur, the Kordofan’s, and Blue Nile, from seasonal natural disasters, malnutrition and disease outbreaks, and from under-investment in basic social services. More than three million of Sudan’s school aged children are not in the classroom. UNICEF has been in Sudan since 1952 and continues with a presence in 12 of Sudan’s 18 states.
How can you make a difference?
- Assists and supports the HR Officer – in coordination with the Field operations and Emergency section – in managing all emergency/surge missions/deployment of all personnel needed for emergency response including the coordination with EMOPS, GENEVA, Regional Emergency teams, daily update of STS reports, etc.
- Assists in the recruitment process for national and general service staff, and also for temporary staff according to UNICEF rules, regulations, procedures and processes. Arranges internal and/or external advertisements and arranges interviews for short-listed candidates.
- Provides briefing and orientation to newly arrived staff in the area of human resources and administrative matters and requirements (salary, opening of bank accounts, pension entitlements, MIP, etc.) Ensures the processing of these entitlements within the Country and follows up with GSSC (as required).
- Support the business partners in developing initiatives to encourage employee well-being, support HR management of change processes by advising clientele on changes to HR processes under the guidance of HR Business Partner, and support the business partners in assisting clientele in using HR systems such as talent management, agora and achieve.
- Follows up on contractual status of all staff and ensures appropriate and timely actions for renewals of contracts. Advises separating staff and their supervisors on exit processes and ensures appropriate and timely actions are taken. Prepares Personnel Action forms to reflect all changes related to local staff status.
- Acts as a backup to other GS HR Assistants in the section as needed. Interpret and analyze HR data to help the HR Officer inform strategic decision making on HR processes and strategies, and update data collection systems to optimize data quality.
- Assist in all medical issues including medical evacuations / referrals and follow with local and regional medical service providers. Liaises with insurance service provider (CIGNA) and NYHQ on medical coverage and to ensure support is provided to staff members and their families.
- Performs other duties as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of Secondary School Education. University education/diploma in HR or other Social Sciences is an advantage.
- A minimum of Seven years of relevant professional experience of progressively responsible clerical or administrative work, of which at least three years should be closely related to support of human resource management specifically in handling HR Emergency response.
- Previous UN Experience is required.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is a requirement.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The ideal profile should also demonstrate:
Courtesy, tact, patience and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The core and functional competencies required for this post are:
Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
- Analyzing (2)
- Learning & Researching (2)
- Planning and organizing (2)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (2)
Other Skills: Excellent client service skills, excellent communication, facilitation, coordination and writing skills.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). UNICEF DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.