Telecommunications Assistant – UNV
|Organization||United Nations Volunteers|
|Duty Station||Abyei (SDN)|
|Duration||24 months with possibility of extension|
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the supervision of the Unit Supervisor within the Field Technology services Section (FTS), the Telecommunications Assistant will be responsible for:
- Assist on the installation of VHF, UHF and HF Mobile (primarily Motorola & Codan), base stations and repeaters, Trunking radio systems, antennas, and related equipment.
- Programming radios, preventive, and corrective maintenance on various types of radios.
- Assisting in the installation of outdoor communications equipment and antennas.
- Training non-technical radio users on the operation of hand-held radios, mobile radios, base stations.
- Carry out the installation of radios in UN vehicle and repair faulty radios.
- Carrying out the installation of auxiliary equipment such as power supplies, solar power systems, UPS units, Voltage Regulators and various protection System.
- Carrying out regularly scheduled and preventative and corrective maintenance on telecommunications installations and equipment.
- Assisting Microwave communications team for installation and configuration.
- Planning for asset and keeping record of asset.
- Organizing the receiving/inspection of new equipment.
- Performing other related duties as required.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent.
Education – Additional Comments:
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from Polytechnic or college in Computer Science, or equivalent diploma/certificate.
Required experience: 60 Months
- At least 5 years’ experience working with Radio Communication systems.
- Practical training should include radio communications and microwave communications.
- At least 5 years of relevant and progressive hands-on telecommunications experience at the national or international level in the public or private sector working with sophisticated radio communications equipment.
- Mandatory experience in TETRA Trunking systems. TETRA MSO and Field Engineering Certificate an asset.
- ITIL® and Prince2® foundation Certification is highly desirable.
- Good interpersonal skills and active listening skills.
- Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word etc.) and other IT applications and office technology equipment.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Telecommunications systems
Area of expertise details:
Driving license: Yes
Accountability, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Creativity
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of
your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly,
select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage
and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 08 June 2021